Sunday, September 2, 2012

What a week!

To say this week has been a trial would be to underestimate that word. The beginning of the week started at mayo clinic with treatments.
Tuesday - Jodi took me in for the pretreatment and to begin the process of shutting down my autoimmune system and then rebuilding it a cell and antibody at a time. A little over half way into the treatment, I developed a spiky headache and vision loss. Horrific pain. Drs were called, treatment modified, and steroids given. Jodi took me home and I had a long night of laying on the couch battling a migraine and pain and weakness.
Jodi came over early the next morning for round two at mayo. Pretreatments went well after 3 iv needles were unsuccessful. I slept during a lot of the treatment. We were close to the end when the spiky migraine pressure headache came back and the vision loss. After conversations with the dr, it was determined that we post iv treatment until what could be meningitis was rules out. Throughout the evening and night the pain worsened and symptoms increased. I developed full blown meningitis. The fever started, the headaches spiked, everywhere on my body shot pain at every turn or slight movement. Even bouts of delirium and confusion set in. Indescribable pain and weakness were constant.
The drs didn't know what to do. With my immune system shut down, they did not think I could survive the trip from the ER to ICU. We were given a choice. The dr said there were no other medications to be given, this was the chance we took. We were in "wait and see" to see if the meningitis or my body would prevail.
The road since has been long. Long days and even longer nights. The pain, stiffness, exhaustion, pressure and illness has been all consuming.
I am so blessed to have the promise that the Savior would walk this road with me. He has been so close. When I could no longer bear the pain, I could feel my Father in Heaven wrap his arms around me and sustain me. It has been miraculous.
Today, as I lay on the couch, I know there are hundreds of people that are praying for me, fasting for me and pleading with the Lord on my behalf. My gratitude cannot adequately be expressed.
I know I will pull through. I know I can beat this. I know that this is molding me into who my Father in Heaven wants me to become. I know He walks this road with me. I have felt His power and His presence.
I'm praying that my body fights this meningitis and I will be healthy enough to start up the rest of the immune system transplant this week. We sure are praying this continues to work. We have faith. We have seen the Lord step in so many times in my behalf. We are so grateful.
I love my Savior. I love and appreciate my family and their sacrifices. I'm so thankful for all my many friends for pouring out their hearts and generosity and love toward us. We feel so loved and blessed. Thank you for your continued fasting and prayers. More details as I am able to write.

No comments: