Tuesday, May 24, 2011

IEP Meeting

Hayden's three year evaluations at school have been this past six weeks. I have spent a lot of time at the school with his teacher, principal, speech therapist, occupational therapist, Aide, Educational Psychologist, Special Education director and the wonderful front office staff.

These wonderful people love my son! What a wonderful blessing it is to walk into a room with all of these people and know that they love Hayden and want the best for him.

Hayden has qualified for all the services he is receiving now, plus more time with Jerry! Hooray! Jerry is the occupational therapist's therapy dog and Hayden LOVES him! The school has even hired a new 4th grade teacher and during interviewing he was specifically asked questions regarding Hayden and his needs.

IEP meetings are filled with all types of emotions. The reality of Hayden's situation, although always in the back of my mind, hits me front and center at these times. I see exact grade levels, see in black and white his strengths and weaknesses. I am presented with goals, I tweak them and we go back to the drawing board. The school's goal is for academic success, as Hayden's mom, I most value and protect his self esteem and do everything I can to make sure that he is set up for the most success possible in all areas. I am told by the psychologist how Hayden is coping and reacting when I am not around. Some of these moments are hard to swallow emotionally. I want pure happiness and the best for my son. It hurts me to see him struggle so much.

As those close to me remind me, all children struggle in one way or another. It is part of life. Oh how some days I wish I could take the pain of childhood away from Hayden and protect him from the ugly things in the world. I can't. I know it is my job to best equip him with the skills necessary to stand strong.

All of these emotions, goals, academic skills... all go into the long meetings of making sure that Hayden has the best opportunity for learning and success. I was thrilled today to sign the paperwork and make it all official. I am so grateful for such a wonderful team of people that all love and care about my son. I have truly been guided and blessed when searching for the right schools, therapists and teachers for Hayden. I am also excited for the IEP to be set in place and not have to be front and center in my mind and thoughts. Whew! That is a relief to have that in place for the next year!

2 comments:

Jill Sanders said...

I can totally relate. We were supposed to do all of the evaluations for O's three year, but he has been having such a hard time lately, we couldn't do it. We just worked on setting goals. I can relate to all of those feelings you mentioned. It can be so rough to see everything on paper.

Jodi Davis said...

You are an incredible mom! There is no one better out there for Hayden! He has come so far and will continue to make strides. He is an amazing kid. I love him so much!