Saturday, May 28, 2011

Mrs. Fett

Hayden was blessed with the BEST 3rd Grade teacher, Mrs. Fett. She has been the PERFECT combination of pushing him to excel with knowing where the line was to prevent pushing too hard. All while doing this, she continued to build his self esteem, encourage him and help him reach beyond what he thought he was capable of.
I am so thankful for the wonderful people, teachers, therapists in Hayden's life and how much they help to shape and mold him into the wonderful guy he is. I am thankful for Mrs. Fett and she will probably never understand how truly thankful I am for the extra time, effort and care she gave Hayden.

On Tuesday, Hayden asked Mrs. Fett, "Where will I be sitting next year?"
Fett: "Across the hall Hayden in Mr. Ariaus' room."
H: "I've decided I want to stay in 3rd grade. I won't be going to 4th grade."
Mrs. Fett's response was to go get a special lunch for Hayden and the two of them sat and talked during lunch and recess. At the end of the day, they had come up with a plan. Hayden will move on to 4th grade but have a desk in the 3rd grade classroom that he can go to anytime just by holding up a card.

What an amazing teacher to spend her lunch hour reassuring Hayden that he was ready for 4th grade, he was capable of the task, she believed in him and she provided an "out" for him when it became too overwhelming. I can't express enough gratitude to her and for her for her true compassion and love for Hayden. She is going to be terribly missed by Hayden, and me.

1 comment:

Connie said...

Yay! for great/dedicated teachers...sounds like he had a wonderful one, for sure!