Saturday, November 17, 2012

Hospital Round ?

I continue to fight to get well but it seems I am on a continual up and down roller coaster of health ride. Each new treatment causes several different side effects. Each new medication, new battles to be dealt with and overcome. I have complete faith that one day the doctors will get this right and it will all work out, but for now, we learn to lean into the ride.

The week before Thanksgiving presented many challenges to overcome. I spent each day struggling to breathe. With each day came more intense struggles. By Friday, I contacted Mayo Clinic, concerned that I really wasn't breathing. The day came and went with no phone call returned which is not like them. Thomas got home and decided that I needed to breathe and nothing we were doing was working. About that time, I received a call from Mayo saying they had been in brain surgery all day and although they couldn't see me, urgent care of ER were my only two options. Bummer.

Considering my feelings for hospital stays, I opted for urgent care, hoping for some miraculous treatment and back home. After a short time in Urgent Care, a chest x-ray and phone call and I was off to ER. I guess not breathing IS a big deal to them, too, as I was rushed straight back to a room.

CT Scan, more chest x-rays, breathing treatments, lots of doctors and lots of waiting. When the nurse first came in and I was explaining that I have P.O.T.S., Autonomic neuropathy, peripheral neuropathy, IVIG treatments, and other stuff, she just stared at us and said she hadn't heard of any of these conditions... as Thomas and I looked at each other, we thought we may have made a mistake by coming. Luckily, the doctor was understanding of the conditions.

Once evaluated and determined that I had a blood clot, I was moved immediately by the nurses while testing was done and routes calculated for my treatment. I can honestly say, I have never had such a fun set of nurses, techs, and team of fun people treating me. They had Thomas and I completely laughing. They were teasing me about me having more medical knowledge than them and that they had no idea what to do when alarms were sounding all over the place. I was explaining to them when to worry, when to just ignore the signals. It was one of my funner nights in ER.

Thomas and I were initially concerned with blood clots, which was the majority of the reason I agreed to go in. With a blood clotting disorder and treatments raising the likelihood of clotting, we knew the risks involved, yet were praying for divine intervention that I wouldn't get any. So, when I was diagnosed with one, Thomas offered me the sweetest priesthood blessing. He laid his hands on my head and once again invoked the power of heaven to help heal my weakened body. As the powerful priesthood blessing was offered, I felt healing inside my body. I felt that all would be okay and my heart and soul were comforted. I felt such peace that I was no longer nervous about what treatments and procedures lay in front of me.

Because of my recent history, the doctor double checked some things before going forward with breaking up the clot. Miraculously, once again, the Lord took care of me and the blood clot broke up on its own.

Against the hospital wishes, Mayo sent me home diagnosed with pneumonia, pleurisy and strict orders to wear compression stockings. I was to call Mayo first thing Monday morning with more instructions. Minor things like breathing at 83% and heart rate which normally is 40 to 60 was at 115.

The breathing issues come and go but overall are much better. I am so grateful for great doctors that care. Priesthood blessings that invoke the powers of heaven. A loving Heavenly Father that continues to watch out for me and help heal my body when I get too dangerously close to problems. A husband that loves, adores me and is my protector and comforter. Great friends that will take Hayden on a moment's notice, change their plans and come spend the night at my house so that Hayden will be comfortable.

The way I see it, I couldn't be more blessed, feel more loved or feel more taken care of. I am in awe once again how our Savior succors his people in their time of need. I definitely needed him during this latest health bump and as always, He was there for me.

No comments: