Sunday, November 25, 2012

Thanksgiving

I absolutely LOVE Thanksgiving. To me, it is one of my favorite days of the year, for so many reasons. I think the entire month leading up to Thanksgiving we try so hard to focus on our blessings and our gratitude to the Savior for all we have been given. And, holy cow, have we been given so much. The blessings, the tender mercies, the wonderful people in my life, my family and my relationship with my Savior are just the tip of the iceberg of my blessings. And, all month, I have tried to focus on all that I have been given and all the Lord has done for me. I am in complete awe of how merciful the Lord has been to me and my family.

With gratitude running over in my heart, I get to spend time with so many people that I cherish and love so much. We gather together, express our love for one another, together share in our blessings and eat together, laugh, talk, share special moments and are again connected on a deeper, more grateful for one another, level.

This year was a Simonton Thanksgiving year. All Simonton's were present since JD, Cassie, Bryson, Coby and Tanner were able to fly in and be with us. Oh how I cherish the moments when we are all together. Not only do I love the togetherness, but in those moments, I am blessed to feel my mom in our presence. I know that on Thanksgiving and other special days that she looks down and is with us. She loved family gatherings. She loved when we were all together. I believe that she still looks forward to the days we are all together and absolutely joins in and listens to our stories, finds joy in our togetherness and is grateful for how we all turned out. I believe she "hugs" each of her grandkids and whispers her love to each of them because they are all a little happier, get along even better, and each carry around an extra special countenance that day.

On top of all our blessings, our togetherness, the presence of my mom, my Dad and Bonnie put on a beautiful Thanksgiving feast. We sit outside in the beautiful Arizona November weather and eat, talk, laugh and enjoy the moment. It is a special time which I hold in my heart.

I walked in and sat by these two precious people, my cute niece Kaylee and my incredible sister, Jodi. We laughed, talked and teased Kaylee about her new found love of all things teenager-ish. How did she grow up so fast? She is so fun to talk to and tease. Love her so much.
Hayden and Katelyn are always excited to see one another. They are the closest in age and love each other so much. I found out I was pregnant with Hayden just moments before going into the delivery room to see Katelyn be born. There are moments when I look at these two and am swept back to Katelyn's birth, holding her and daydreaming of what it would be like to have my own baby and wondering if they would be close. Definitely closer than I even imagined in my daydreams and it brings such joy to my heart.
And what mom on this earth couldn't have a heart of gratitude when I get to see this handsome, goofy, loving, funny, incredible boy each and every day. The gratitude I have for him is beyond all words.
I love that my boy thinks that teasing his Aunt Jodi is the best way to bond with her.
But those eyes show so much love in them. He loves her. He knows that she treats him just like one of her own. He tells me that Jodi treats him a lot the same as I do. He wisely said one day that Jodi was more concerned with him turning out good and doing what was right than trying to make sure that she was the favorite aunt. He went on to comment how Aunt Jodi wants to make sure that I turn out to be a good dad and a good missionary. I heart that. I love that she loves him and treats him like one of her own.

Me and my boy...I cannot express my gratitude and love enough for him. Priceless.
Hayden playing video games with Grandpa. I love that my dad really tries to make all the family events special for his grand kids. He loves them and wants them to have fun at his house. He wants the grand kids to want to come to the parties and be with him.
JD carving the turkey. That has been his job ever since I can remember. He carves it like a dentist. I am so happy when him and his sweet family is in town. It's never the same when he is missing. I love the moments when my family is complete.
The kids. Are they really playing one another on video games via their i-touches and texting one another. Crazy cousins that love one another. Each of them hold a special piece of my heart. I honestly have the best and most precious nieces and nephews in the world. I love each of them dearly.
There is more food, more yummy goodness than we could ever consume. My Dad and Bonnie certainly know how to provide a beautiful feast. I learned from a very special person that cooking for your family is providing them with internal hugs. I believe it and believe this is one of the ways that my Dad and Bonnie show their great love for us.
Grandpa playing a game with the boys.
Braden cracks me up. He keeps us all laughing. He just went for the entire turkey leg...and yes, he ate the entire thing. I wish I would have taken pictures after everyone sat down. I loved the all boy table right behind me that Hayden sat down at with Bryson, Braden, Coby, Casen, Brigham and others. What great fun.
I totally neglected to get a picture on Thanksgiving with the love of my life. There is no way that I could do a Thanksgiving or grateful post without him in it. Luckily, Jodi had just taken pictures of us. I admit it, sometimes it just look at pictures of Thomas. I love the way he gently pulls me close, the way he protects me and the way his entire face lights up when we are together. He is the greatest blessing in my life. When I think of him, I think of the saying, "I want to live one day less than you because I cannot imagine walking thru one day of this earth life without him by my side." He is my joy, my center, my heart and my soul. Me, Thomas, Hayden and our Savior. There is no greater combination. Love, love, love this incredible man that chose me to be his wife. Like I said, I feel so incredible blessed when I sit and really count my blessings. My cup runneth over...

2 comments:

Connie said...

Such a beautiful post! No doubt of your mom's presence and her love for all of you! Nothing like big family gatherings to feel heaven on earth!

Jodi Davis said...

I absolutely love those pictures of me and Hayden. I got a bit choked up as I read that. I know that I am not the favorite aunt and don't pretend to be, but he is SO right. I want him and all of my nieces and nephews to be amazing men and women one day that honor their priesthood, go on missions and become incredible fathers and mothers. He is wise beyond his years to realize that. That definitely meant a lot to me. I sure love you, Hayden!