Sunday, August 17, 2014

Enrichment night speaker

As I walked into the enrichment night for visiting teaching on Thursday, I grew nervous. There were so many people. So many people I did not know at all. Our ward has grown and changed. We are having new families move in like crazy. Each month for the past six months or so, has brought at least 8 new families a month. We are bursting at the seams. 

So, to face so many new people with such a personal story was a little intimidating. Thoughts raced thru my mind as I prayed fervently to just be able to survive. I started to sweat. As I looked around, with more than double of sisters expected, I noticed everyone was getting hot. Great. The number one thing to take me out, and the quickest, heat. My hands started to sweat just as my body felt hot. My throat grew dry and I needed a Kleenex. I found it hard to concentrate on the skit as I was just pleading for strength to survive and the courage to tell my story. 

As I stood, I began to wobble and shake. I tried to steady myself but the room began to sway. Oh no. Not now, I thought. You can do this, Jerlyn. The Savior will walk you thru this. He has never left you nor forsaken you. 

Luckily, Kim saw my unsteadiness. She offered a chair to sit in. I was grateful. The jerking stopped. I took a deep breath, said a quick prayer and started. As I looked out among so many sisters that have sacrificed for us, who have made meals, taken Hayden places, taught him, driven me to appointments, fasted for me, prayed for me and showered me with love, my heart was so touched. 

As I spoke, the words came easily, as did my overwhelming emotion of gratitude and love. As I spoke, I saw the hand of my Savior so clearly. I fought to keep the tears at bay. Tears of gratitude, appreciation, long hard days fought with persistence and love for my ward family and Savior. 

We laughed together and cried together. We worshiped and gave thanks for the kindness and mercifulness of our Savior. We longed for peace and healing. We were wrapped in the Holy Ghost. He tenderly touched our hearts that evening. 

All eyes were wet with tears, as the spirit was too strong to deny or hold back from. His love was all encompassing. The Kleenex box passed down each row, then circled the room again. Here were no dry eyes. There was no denying the Spirit present or the love shown by our Savior. We all basked in His love. 

As I finished, I felt the Savior's gentle reassurance, "well done". 

Christy Layton gave the closing prayer. In it, she thanked the Savior for showing us that our efforts to love and care for one another, do actually matter. She thanked Him for allowing her to know that what she did, actually made a difference. That the promptings she received weren't just silly thoughts of her mind by put actually answers to prayers and promptings from the Holy Ghost. I was touched. Isn't that what we all desire? To know our efforts matter and they are enough? 

As the meeting ended, I was hugged by so many people in the room. I was given love. I was given encouragement. I was given gratitude and again showered in love. I felt so much love. 

I reacquainted with old friends, expressed individual appreciation to so many or my ward family and friends. And I was lucky enough to be able to meet so many new people. New sisters. New friends. 

We were all uplifted and encouraged. We were all strengthened. We all renewed our commitment to care for one another and serve our Savior. 

I am so grateful for the gift I was given. The gift of health and strength, even if temporary, in order to accomplish something so important. To reach beyond myself and show those the impact they have had on my life and that of my family's life. 

I arrived home, exhausted, but inspired and uplifted. Grateful for the strength given to me by my Savior. Grateful,for the miracles. Grateful for the love shown. 

Do I have a testimony of visiting teaching? Absolutely...it has changed our lives in beautiful ways. 

No comments: