Thursday, August 28, 2014

Job-one of my heroes

“I do not know of anything that members of the Church need more than they need the conviction and perseverance of Job.”—Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin (1917–2008) of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles
Job and family
Detail from Job and His Family, by Greg K. Olsen
I was known as a man who feared God and avoided evil. The Lord blessed me with seven sons and three daughters, and He granted me great material wealth, including “seven thousand sheep, and three thousand camels, and five hundred yoke of oxen, and five hundred [donkeys], and a very great household.”
Satan believed that I would cease to be righteous and that I would curse the Lord if I no longer prospered temporally. The Lord allowed Satan to test me but would not allow him to harm me physically. Satan caused my livestock to be stolen or destroyed and sent a strong wind to knock down my house, killing my 10 children inside. Rather than cursing the Lord, I “rent [my] mantle, and shaved [my] head, and fell down upon the ground, and worshipped” the Lord.
When Satan saw that I would not curse God, he wanted to test me with physical trials. The Lord allowed Satan to do so but would not allow him to take my life. Satan afflicted me with “sore boils from the sole of [my feet] unto [my] crown." Still I retained my integrity, refusing to curse the Lord. My friends mourned with me.
My friends told me that my suffering was caused by my own wickedness and that I must repent, but I knew that I was a righteous man. The Lord later commanded my friends to repent. They were told to make a burnt offering and to have me pray for them.
After seeing my faithfulness, the Lord caused my great suffering to cease, and He blessed me with “twice as much as [I] had before.” I now had “fourteen thousand sheep, and six thousand camels, and a thousand yoke of oxen, and a thousand [donkeys],” as well as seven more sons and three more daughters. The Lord truly rewarded me richly for my faith and patience.
I have seen the hand of the Lord in my life, both in my afflictions and in my prosperity. I boldly testified: “I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God.”
Although Job was not a prophet, his life, testimony, and endurance during trials can be an inspiration to us.

Job has been one of my heroes for many years. I've always used his life as, mine could be worse... My favorite scripture is D&C 121:7-10. Joseph Smith is in Liberty Jail and is crying out for help and comfort. He is begging God to take swords and slay his enemies, pleading to hide and protect him. And desperately seeking comfort. 
The answer to Joseph from the Savior is one I have pictured the Savior saying to me over and over. "My son, (or my daughter), peace be unto thy soul... Thine afflictions shall be but a small moment, but if thou endure it well, I will exhault thee on high. Your friends stand beside you....ye are not yet as Job."
I have used that verse and when the Savior continues with, "the Son of Man has descended below all. Are he greater than he?"
As I struggle, as I face my own trials, adversities, afflictions and heartache, I am assured that there are three men than I love and admire that have walked a much rougher and rockier path. If I am struggling,  I am in great company. And, in time, my suffering, will also end. 
Joseph Smith, Job and Jesus Christ are definitely three of my greatest heroes. They give me examples of how to walk my struggles. They give me strength and hope to keep walking and keep enduring. I know that I will never be asked to endure as much as they have. And if. I face my trials as they did, I too will conquer and overcome. 
Someday, when these earthly trials are over, my Savior will take me in His arms and whisper, "Well done. Welcome home." And in that moment, all of the suffering and trials, all of my heartache and struggles, will seem minimal to the great reward I will receive of standing in the presence of my Savior. Peace will fill my heart and soul. I will be home. Free from all the pain and earthly cares. Safe in the arms of my Savior. 

No comments: