Monday, September 1, 2014

Applying the lesson

We are back in homeschooling mode here. Man sakes alive is it harder and more time consuming and all encompassing, than I would have ever guessed. Last year, we just kept schooling. His year, I'm doing it my own way, trying to really give Hayden the love for learning and a heart filled with hope. 

Most of this week was a total flop. I was oh so sick and down. Wednesday, I didn't even wake up until after lunch time. And I feel like Hayden has been semi schooling himself this week with a very sick and sleeping mom. It has really frustrated me. 

But today, was the day that I realize why I am doing this. No, we didn't do all his assignments. We didn't study all subjects. We didn't even make it thru the schedule as things came up and pushed the schedule back. But, there are some moments that are just worth it. And today was one of those. 

Each morning we start with a morning family devotional. Family prayer, scripture study, planning the day and gospel learning. Thomas is around for as long as he can. At least scriptures and prayers. And breakfast. 

We have been studying the Doctrine and Covenants. I am using the high school seminary manual to teach from as I love all the learning that can be attained thru its usage. 

This morning we were discussing how to really apply the scriptures to our lives. We read different passages. We re-read them with the questions changed, circumstances changed, and talked of how it changed or clarified the meaning. Then we talked of personalizing the scriptures and how to better do that. 

We read in D&C 121:1-10 for study purposes. This is one of my favorite passages, as my hero, Joseph Smith is pleading for help and for relief. I have read he words over and over "My son, peace be unto thy soul....thine afflictions shall be but a small moment...if thou endure it well. I will exhault thee on high." I told Hayden that I read it, "my daughter, Jerlyn". 

We then read it with my daughter, Jerlyn and then my son, Hayden, peace be unto thy soul. We talked of wh the Savior,could be saying that to him or me. He brought up current challenges we are facing. My health declining again, Q96 restart, our move, my struggle for the last years being sick and the fear it has brought onto Hayden, Hayden's heart surgeries, his health issues, and current brain trauma and new diagnosis and challenges for Hayden. 

We talked of how if we read the verses, using our current situation, as if we were asking the Savior for understanding and help in our current situation, how would the answer and scriptures seem different with specific questions in mind. We then again read, "My son, Hayden. Peace be unto thy soul." As those eight words were read, something happened. It felt as if the Savior stretched out His loving arms and embraced us in a blanket of love and hope. The peace and comfort was tangible. We could feel it so clearly. 

Both of us sat in awe. Hayden spoke. He said, Mom, do you feel like the Savior just wrapped us in a blanket of peace and love? I confirmed what he was feeling. 

We both sat there. No words needed to be said. We both just allowed the beautiful feelings of peace and hope and love to wrap around us. We basked in His love. We cherished and tried to hold on tight to that experience. Etching it on our hearts and in our minds forever. 

I hugged my son. He then asked me different answers I had received while reading the scriptures. We discussed hope and love, answers to prayers. How reading with questions in mind and with a purpose, brought deeper and more meaningful experiences. 

Yes. We may not have done all the math assignments. English may have slipped thru my fingers. But we talked of Christ, we rejoiced in Christ, and we have taught our children, so they will know where to look for a remission of their sins. 

Today, our testimonies were strengthened.  We both knew this is our Savior's plan. With him, homeschooling will be the best thing I have ever done for my son. 
  

No comments: