Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Brain mapping and more diagnosis

Today was a new doctor and new diagnosis. Somedays, even I am in awe of the new complications and problems I find out about. 

Back in June, I went to a new doctor and had all kinds of testing done. It was a brain mapping doctor or neurofeedback doctor. I was hooked to an EEG and had tests run. An MRI, CT scan and nuclear scan test structure of the brain and physical traits. The tests I had run were functional testing. How does my brain work compared to how it should work. 

Usually, there is an initial intake and history session. However, since Hayden was scheduled and did the intake, the doctor agreed to do my brian map and testing for half price, if I did it simultaneously with Hayden. So without any discussions, I jumped in to save money. 

We had Hayden's results last week.... More on that later. My results were today. The dr wanted me and Thomas there, together for results. Today, we sat in his office, highly anticipating what was found. With so many things being inconclusive and evasive, we have anxiously awaited anyone that could explain anything that has happened to me, why it is happening and better yet, how to fix it. 

The doctor started out explaining how the brain works, what beta, alpha, theta and delta brain waves are and how they are supposed to work in your brain. He kept repeating that with no history or background on me, he was taking his best guess as to the how's and whys. 

He started with IQ and said that anything more than a 20 point deviation was considered bad. A learning disability or a severe problem to be addressed. We started with ADHD and symptoms. Shocker there. I cannot focus anymore. At all. He said that I have a huge discrepancy between what is written and what is verbal. My written has th standard 20 point deviation showing that there are damaged areas in my brain...short term memory, focus etc. I knew this. It makes me crazy. He gave me both written and oral tests. He said where the huge concern is, is with oral. Given the same problem written vs oral or story or spelling orally or written has vastly different results. Orally, I had over a sixty point deficiency. He said that the auditory processing system has been damaged. And even more so on my left than right. (Crazy. I was told I had a tumor there. Hmmmm. Wondering if any connection). I continue to listen. He says that the auditory system had to have been taken out by a huge stroke or other major complication. I listen. 

He then moves to brain waves and what they mean, what their function is. Beta is alert and conscious. Delta is idle but recharging. Theta is in the relaxed pre-sleep times and Alpha is sleeping. Beta has a lot of blood flow. Theta is low electric. Well. My Beta is low. That is why I struggle with energy and movement and everything tries me out. There is not blood flow when there needs to be. And I have no Alpha waves. None. Which means not good sleep. And my Theta waves are off of the chart high. Tons of electricity going thru without much blood flow. It's messing things up. 

He said he wished that these massive problems were all they found. However, he ran my numbers of test results from the EEG and other tests and said that he could see brain trauma. The first data base measures trauma in one out of a thousand and I was 99.99% most severe. So he switched databases and moved to one out of 10,000, where I ranked 99.9%. He moved to a database with 100,000 and again I was 99.9% showing the worst less than 1%. He had my results for brain trauma ran thru the VA Hosptial head trauma group. He said it was the only data base with that severe of brin traumas to get an accurate assessment. My results were moderate to severe in the group of head trauma cases during war. It looked as if I had been next to a bomb that exploded and my head took the brunt of it. 

He went on. He said it is at the top of my skull and the crown of my head. Interesting side note. I cannot brush my hair in that spot as it kills to touch it and use a brush. He said worst yet, I have a brain bleed. He went on with all kinds of stats. But with my brain trauma. I can't remember it all , even with notes. 

He said that your blood in your brain should be primarily in the frontal lobes, where mine are damaged and I think at the base. I have the most blood at the top portion of my brain. Not good. Blood is where it shouldn't be and not where it should be. 

Then we talked about neurotransmitters and how they are utilized. He talked about the connectors. He said that there are some places that the connectors just are no longer connected. At all. There is a dead spot or actually disconnect. There is zero. Dopamine in my brain. My body is not producing it nor do I have the connectors to utilize that part of the system. Ummm. Problem. 

He said about the worst part of my brain and the most serious is in these factors called jewels. You have these key (can't remember what called) so jewels that your brain uses to compute, calculate, memorize, remember, organize, function, assimilate and more. It must be at a 10. He said a 9 is bad news and must be treated. He said for you to walk and function, they must be at a 10. He tried to gently tell me that my numbers were ALL in the 3 range with one right at the 4 range and one in the 2's. He was in awe with those numbers that I was even alive and functioning. (Even in my very debilitated state). 

Thomas and I explained "my story". The doctor said yes.... Artery cut, brain bleed out, wrong blood type, multiple strokes and seizures, falls and more could cause my very rare and crazy complications. 

As the doctor spoke, I was getting more help than just doctors. I felt the Spirit. You were promised health and miracles. They came. Even if they were not in the package you thought, they came. You have been healed and blessed. You have conquered and received so much strength and healing. I have never left you alone. 

I could see he Savior's hand in my life. How I had been spared. How my life, although not what I had planned is so much better than it could be. I feel so loved. So lucky. So blessed. And incredibly grateful. 




No comments: