Thursday, October 30, 2014

Halloween week

Halloween came and went. We didn't hardly even celebrate or do most of our traditions. However, Hayden survived. He did other things instead and it was a good month. 

Josh took Chad, Hayden, Kaylee and Kiley to Fear Farm. There are five different haunted houses in one. The entire place is spookily decorated and filled with goblins and ghouls, zombies and werewolves, vampires and clowns. Hayden had a wonderful time with his cousins. He was in Heaven. 

We decorated scary bottles and jars and had a great time. Hayden had so much fun decorating and designing his scary scene, complete with a painted Frankenstein. He loved creating potions and jars with spiders and scary toenails. He has an artists eye and is a great designer. 

Halloween night didn't go exactly as planned. Poor Hayden. His plans fell thru. He was ditched by friends. My heart broke as I remembered similar feelings from my teen and preteen years. As a momma, I want to protect him from heartache but my job is to teach him to handle it not to avoid it. 

We had fun! Grandma Julie came thru and brought over her portable fire pit. We roasted hot dogs and made s'mores as we handed out candy to trick or treaters. It was so hot. So we had to pretend it was cool enough for a fire. We had fun! 

When I pulled out the treats for the trick or treaters, Hayden was in disgust at what we bought. Thomas and I had been to Michaels and had bought erasers and fangs. We bought 250 for under $2. That's what you get the night before Halloween. Hooray. Hayden did NOT think that was a good treat. He found treats that Suzi had bought and pulled those out. So luckily we had small kit kits and nerds that Suzi had bought Hayden. The kids loved the erasers. Hayden's response was, "why would girls want school supplies?" I guess owls and bats and rip graves are not his thing. The boys loved the fangs. 

After the trick or treaters, the boys played video games. I loved to hear him laugh as it was a sad weekend for him. 

Saturday morning he was so sweet. He told me that he was glad he had a fun dad because his dad is always there to step in and be his friend. He asked if there would be fun Halloweens again. I said yes. Just different. Things change but you find new fun in different ways. 

Of course, with his disappointment, Thomas tried really hard to help ease some of his first preteen angst by going to the movies and playing games with his Bubba that night. So October came and went with new experiences, disappointments overcome, fun moments and lots of love. 

I love that no matter what comes and goes and happens in life that my dear husband and my precious son get to experience it with me. Together. All on the same team. There for one another. Ready to face whatever challenges and obstacles and wonderful things that come our way! 




No comments: