Sunday, October 31, 2010

Braden's Baptism

Braden turned 8 years old on October 29th and had the blessing of being baptized on his actual birthday. He was so excited to get baptized and make that covenant with our Heavenly Father.
Hayden and Braden are cute little buddies, especially being less than a year apart. Hayden was so excited for Braden.
I love any chance I get to see this little one.
Jodi gave a talk on baptism and Lisa Sawyer gave a talk on the Holy Ghost. Hayden was intent and glued to both of them while they spoke and they both did amazing jobs. Jodi used cheese whiz to represent sin and how we can repent and always be like the day we were baptized. Lisa used things that represented the ways the Holy Ghost can help us. Flashlight-guide us; sunscreen-protect us; seashell-we need to listen; blanket-comforts us.

On the way from the baptism to Braden's house, Hayden rode with a ton cousins in Suzi's car. The kids were all chanting "Party, party, party" and other things. Hayden speaks up and says, "I can't hear the Holy Ghost, you are all being too loud. But, I know that he is whispering to me that we are not making good choices."

Later that night, Thomas and I sat down and talked to Hayden about what he was feeling and why he was feeling that way. He listed different elements that were taking place that he wasn't comfortable with. I asked what he felt like he did vs. what he should have done. He said, "Mom, I made so many bad choices that I wasn't sure which one that the Holy Ghost was telling me was wrong, so I was just trying to make them all right. I sat in the front seat, which I am not allowed to do, we were yelling and that distracts the driver, and I was supposed to ride with you and dad."

So sweet as Hayden made the choice to listen to what he knew was right. And, listen to him decide the route to correct the problem and in the same situation again, decide in advance what he would do. I am so thankful for the wonderful talks given at Braden's baptism so that Hayden could have the opportunity to realize for himself the ways in which the Holy Ghost speaks to him. I am hoping that by Hayden listening to the Holy Ghost in the small things that he will learn how to listen when it comes to the big things. What a beautiful baptism and a great reminder to really listen when the Holy Ghost speaks to our hearts.

No comments: