Friday, October 22, 2010

Lynx Lake


Back when I was in high school, after my mom died, Julie drove me and a friend to Lynx Lake in Prescott. She handed me a journal as I sat next to the lake and told me to write. I still remember that day as vividly as it happened 22 years ago. The lake was crystal, the pine trees were so fragrant, the wind blew against me and the rock I sat on was cold, but the feeling of security and hope wrapped around me. I have always cherished that day and the feelings, emotions and peace that I felt.

This past weekend, Julie drove me back up there. The lake was different than I remembered, but the breeze, calmness and reassurance came, just as it did all those years ago. I felt still. I felt my heart was calmed and I felt unbelievable peace. My heart was happy.

Julie and I sat by the lake and instead of writing, this time we just talked. I felt so loved, so reassured that my life was heading in the direction it needed to and felt the calmness that only sitting next to water can do for me. We spent quite a bit of time sitting and reflecting until it started to rain. Oh how I love the smell of rain. To me it is a renewal, a cleansing of the earth and the smell that comes is one that reminds me of a new beginning, new hope and reassurance that all will be ok. In that moment, I knew my life was headed in the right direction.

After we were chased off by the rain, we headed to downtown Prescott, ate lunch, shopped, walked around and just talked. I had the best day! It was fun to get away and just relax, enjoy and step back from my life and look at it from a different angle. I needed the rejuvenation that came from just stepping away. I walked away and was able to realize how much I have been given and all the wonderful things, events and people that the Lord has placed in my life. I can't deny that He loves me and has and is watching over my life. I would never have guessed 22 years ago that I would be seeking out the same lake to find the solace and peace I have been longing for. It was such a good day!

1 comment:

Connie said...

Such a beautiful post, Jerlyn. Made my heart happy...thanks for sharing!