Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Moments to Remember

Yesterday was a busy, busy day. I absolutely loved the rain. As Hayden and I were driving home from school, we were talking about our favorite smells. I told him that I just loved the feeling and smell of rain. I love when the earth feels refreshed and clean right after a good rainstorm. He asked what my favorite smell was and I told him the smell of the ocean and the feel of the breeze on my face. So cute was he as he added, "Me too, mom!"

Jodi had made homemade snickerdoodle cupcakes and I was dying to try one. Jodi outdid herself again and they were delicious! Hayden and I had to swing by after school for a quick treat. I loved being able to spend the few minutes with my sister and just talking about our days. I am so grateful for her.

Hayden had a ton of homework and we had to get started, so we headed home. But, it was cold and rainy and it felt wonderful... we decided to attempt homemade chicken noodle soup. It was yummy and I loved all the fresh veggies in it. Thankfully, we had left over grilled chicken breasts so it went together so quickly. I am beginning to love to cook with Hayden. I love our conversations and how he opens up while we are working together.

We then attacked homework. I love watching Hayden as he is trying to figure out problems. When it comes to sequences, patterns and story problems, man is that kid a whiz and I am amazed at how quickly he just sees the patterns. His vocabulary is amazing and I loved listening to his sentences for his vocab words. Usually, I dread homework. Yesterday, I did it right and tried to find all the positives of just the time with Hayden. It was amazing that with me having a positive attitude, how much better homework time went.

We discussed Christ being in the center of our lives at family home evening, just like the Sun is the center of the solar system. We asked what things we were doing that puts Christ at the center of our lives and what things we could do better. We decided as a family we were going to try to listen harder when the Holy Ghost speaks to us. Then, when we asked Hayden what game he wanted to play, he opted for more scripture study. Really? We asked if he was sure and he said, "I can't wait to find out who kills each other next. These people never learn." Thomas and I laughed and we continued to read... and sure enough more people were killed and the cycled continued.

It was a good day. I went to bed grateful that some days I do get it right. Some days I am able to push the day to day stuff aside and focus on what really matters. I went to bed committed to try harder, be better and try to do more to keep the focus in our family on our Savior. And, as we do, I am hoping for a lot more good days, like yesterday.

1 comment:

Connie said...

Amen! I loved the cool & breezy rainy day! The cupcakes sound delicious...any chance you'll share the recipe? I love the great relationship you have with your darling son, Jerlyn...good, good job!