Saturday, June 16, 2012

Is Summer over Yet?

This summer is getting awfully hot. I have decided that Arizona heat is definitely NOT my friend. When the cardiac electrophysiologist told me this was going to be the worst summer of my life, I had no idea what to expect. He said that anytime I was in direct sunlight, I would pass out. I thought he was exaggerating. I was wrong. Wishful thinking on my part. The heat absolutely kills me. In order to even go out in the sun, I am learning that I have to be wearing sunglasses and a hat. If the direct sunlight hits my eyes or face, that is it, I pass out. Not only that, it drains me like I couldn't believe.

I grew up in Arizona and figured that it wouldn't be this bad. I was accustomed to the heat. I was dead wrong. I am learning to adapt. I try to only get out of the car and go places either early in the morning or late at night. In fact, grocery shopping has to be done after 8pm.

I attempted Jodi's new pool again this week. Bad decision on my part. I was out in the sun, under the umbrella with a hat and sunglasses on in the water. I thought I would be fine. When Thomas picked me up, I told him I didn't feel well. We went home and I passed out on the couch and slept for the next 10 hours.

It is only a couple of weeks into June. We have another four months of intense heat. My body is not cooperating. I am not sure how we are going to tackle this problem. I am praying for a very rainy and stormy monsoon season.

Not fun, but I am learning to adapt. I am so thankful for the tender mercies of my Father in Heaven when I have to do something or be outside, he has given me the endurance to do what has to be done before I go down. I am so thankful for His goodness, or I don't know where I would be.

Each morning I get up and sing, "Sun, Sun go away, please bring on a rainy day! I would like to go and play, please bring on a rainy day!" Crazy, but I am convinced that someday it will work.

No comments: