Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Adventures of the Zipline

My boy continues to amaze me as he grows and matures. He asked if we could get up early one morning before cousins and others were around. He wanted to attempt the zip line without others watching. Poor boy. He has his moms fear of heights and apprehensive and safe personality.

So I watched in anticipation and a knot in my stomach as he put on the gear. He stood on the platform. He got himself hooked in. Then he froze. Poor boy. He looked at me, standing on the other side of the zip line. He asked the workers if there were any accidents, any chance of the cable breaking, any possibility of something tragic happening. Then, with eyes firmly fixed on Thomas, he looked so unsure. Thomas, being such an attentive and good father, was deciding between pushing him to conquer a fear or whether to reassure his son that he never had anything to prove to us or other peers. Wanting to reassure Hayden, he chose the latter. He told Hayden that it didn't matter, we looked him the same whether he was a dare devil or more conservative. It just didn't matter. Hayden decided to not take a chance. (I didn't blame him. There was no way I would do it). I was so proud of him for going so far to overcome and conquer his fears. Later we talked that fears that hold us back, we need to conquer. Some things, like zip lines are optional. He isn't any better or worse off for doing it or not doing it. Mom and Dad will never pressure you on the unimportant things. The love I have for his boy for sticking up for what he needs....and love his efforts.
Thomas was so excited to try. He got his gear on as quickly as possible, climbed onto the platform and smiled as he felt the thrill of pushing off. My husband could easily turn into an adrenaline junkie, if given the opportunity. He loves to try new things and feel the exhilaration of them all.
He said he loved the feeling of flying through the air. The quick ride just made him want to experience it again. Oh how many ways, we are so different. Hayden comes by all of his cautiousness from his momma. He is a mini me.
I loved seeing the huge smile stretched across Thomas' face as he flew by me. He loved it. His face lit up said it all.
Thomas did hate the gear. We laughed and laughed. He is a good sport. Hayden gets his content, easy-going and joy of living in the moment, from his dad. Thomas is happy. Whatever he is doing, he is happy. He finds joy in everything. I'm so grateful that Hayden got so many of those traits from his dad. And having received the cautious gene from his mom....I won't lie....it makes me worry much less. Especially when his father would love all adrenaline sports from skydiving and parasailing to zip lines and skiing.

It was a great moment together. And I love how Thomas put his arm around Hayden and told him how proud he was of him for following his heart and not giving in to pressure. What a dad!

No comments: