Saturday, March 26, 2016

Haiti

Our first port of call was a private island in Haiti. Oh it was beautiful! Hayden was convinced he found the island they used to film the TV series Lost. It was pristine and gorgeous. I am always in awe of the beauty of the earth. Our Savior is definitely an artist and knows how to paint and create the perfect masterpiece.

Thomas wheeled me off before the rest of the crowds, and the three of us sat in the shade of the cruise ship, just staring at that beautiful island and talking of the natural beauty of the earth, untouched by human hands. We talked of the creation. We talked of what life must be like for the people that lived here in this part of Haiti.
Haiti was filled with beach options, although a storm had come and coral was everywhere causing lots of bleeding feet. All I knew is that it was hot! (Low 80's but direct sun) Since me and hot do not mix, I desperately tried to locate shade. Unfortunately, other than my huge hat, there wasn't much to be found. We got off the ship early enough that the blazing sun wasn't hitting us. It was still in the low 80's but much too direct sun for me. We let Hayden play with his cousins for about thirty minutes and then I loaded back in my wheelchair and headed back to the boat.

While there, we were able to take in the beautiful clouds that looked like they were kissing the water, surrounded by the most pristine land that was untouched by human hands. It was natural. Just as it had been created and it was breathtaking.

Hayden laughed and played with cousins while there. It almost felt like we were all in Oceanside together. My heart swelled at the life I have been blessed with. How wonderful is it to sit on the beautiful beach of Haiti and think of other moments that were as magical and memorable and filled with joy. I really have had a blessed life. I have had the opportunity to experience so much joy, so much love and so many uniquely incredible moments. Gratitude embraced my entire being.

With all of the cousins and my siblings and their spouses off the boat and together, I hated to go back and miss out on the fun. But I knew staying would take me down for possibly days. I couldn't risk it. Heading back to the ship was a necessity. I figured Hayden would stay but that son of mine is so concerned about his momma. I love how much he loves me. I wish his life wasn't filled with concern for me, so much so that he misses out on so much.

Once Talmage heard we were headed back, he jumped at the chance to go back with us. What six year old doesn't love the beach? He is crazy but it made going back not as difficult. We talked on the way back, looked at the ocean, and Tman even took a ride on my lap. I loved watching Hayden take Talmage's hand and guide him over the pier, concerned he would do something crazy and get hurt. I cherish these moments where for a few small moments, Hayden knows what it is like to love and care for a younger "sibling". I love how protective he is and how he realizes that when they are around that it is more about them, not him. He would have been an incredible big brother.

But, as proof by these amazing pictures, we soaked in each moment we were there. 












No comments: