Saturday, March 26, 2016

Allure of the Seas

As we boarded the boat, I was in awe! It was huge and magnificent. I guess with it being the biggest cruise ship at sea, the Allure of the Seas did not disappoint.

We entered at the Royal Promenade and there were shops and bars and color and servers everywhere. Cruise ships always amaze me as to their perceived cleanliness and the amount of workers everywhere. It is literally a floating city on water.

Quickly, we tried to head up to the buffets. They were crowded and it was a challenge trying to get us on the elevators. Troy, Jodi and I were all in wheelchairs and Cassie had a huge stroller for Ashlyn. Crazy. We all headed up and found tables. We ate and talked and caught up with JD and Cassie.
After eating we decided to go to our room while rest of the gang explored the ship. I knew that the safety drill would come soon and I desperately needed a nap. Thomas and Hayden unpacked while I spent the first several hours on the ship sleeping. It was exactly what I needed after a long and drawn out flight day and the energy it took to board the ship. I knew I would see everyone again at dinner and that was good enough for me.

The incredible size of the room we had still absolutely floors me. It was huge! I must say that disabled rooms are the best. There are so few perks with being in a wheelchair and living a life of sheer sickness and terminal illness but this was definitely a welcome blessing, knowing I would be spending more time in the room than most. And having an inside balcony, where I still felt like I was among the nightlife and action was just what I needed.
Our balcony overlooked the incredible Boardwalk, being directly above the carousel.   If I looked directly across, I could see the teen club, the ping pong courts and basketball courts. And the zipline came right in front of our room. I could see how full Johnny Rockets was every morning, watch the kids line up for the carousel and even see the amazing diving shows from my room. It was heavenly. I loved sitting on my balcony and seeing the waves and the entertainment all at the same time.
Our balcony was huge and held four chairs and a table with plenty of room for lots of kiddos. I did love eating room service out there. It made the painful and sick moments when I couldn't leave the room, much more fun and enjoyable as I could still people watch and even see the kids playing.
And although it wasn't an ocean view, I was able to see very well through this opening from my balcony.
The grandeur of the ship was the most magnificent when it was parked next to other cruise ships, and it was almost double the size in width and much longer in length. It was definitely filled with many activities and lots of hidden little gems.
One of our favorite spots was central park. This huge spot was something I saw prior to the ship and wondered why that didn't fill it with activities. Oh the joy I felt there. Gentle breezes, birds chirping, huge patio chairs and outside tables that felt like we were at an outside cafe in Italy or New York. Add to that the Central Park Cafe and it was heaven. Our mornings consisted of toasted bagel bar, egg sandwiches, granola and yogurt parfaits and muffins. Yummy! We would sit and talk and laugh and soak in being "outside" while protected from the sun. It was cool and shaded and yet I was outside. Oh how I have missed that. To me, it was one of my favorite spots and my best moments with Thomas and Hayden. In the quiet afternoons while others were shuffling kids to shows and ice skating, Hayden would hang with cousins in teen club and Thomas and I would sit and talk. Casually eat a yummy bowl of soup and snack on cups of fruit. I stretched my legs across him and we sat outside and soaked in the breeze, the coolness and relaxed.

While captivated in the heavenly area of Allure of the Seas' Central Park,  I didn't feel my illness had stolen one moment from me. In those moments, it was just me and my beloved husband, stretched out in a beautiful place, discussing our hopes and dreams and plans. We talked of the future and of Hayden's future. We spoke of the sweet reunion it will be when we both are reunited on the other side of the veil and will never have to worry about being separated again by death. We discussed our dreams and hopes for Hayden. And prayed that he would find the comfort and joy and complete solace in a spouse, as we have.

No, our trip was not like the hustle and bustle of others, as they tried to take it all in, see all the shows, do all the nightlife, experience all the shore excursions and be on the go. Ours was more of being. I walked or was pushed slow in my wheelchair. Thomas brought me food. I relaxed in a beautiful chair, reclining and just being. I breathed every bit of ocean air. I cleared my mind. And I didn't worry about what I was missing out on. But just enjoyed what was. And the most freedom I have experienced in years. It was truly a gift.

My trip, my best memories are those spent with Thomas, feeling alive again. And although, it was a short walk from our room to the Cafe.... it was a world of change for me. Being able to go to a restaurant and sit outside. That was a gift. A truly wonderful and magical gift.

No comments: