Sunday, July 29, 2012

5th Grader

Every time I think of Hayden being a 5th grader, the song, "Are you Smarter than a 5th Grader" plays in my mind and I think, "No, I am not!" The questions on that game show are hard and difficult and I do not remember a lot of them. Now, I will be having to use the internet to help Hayden with his homework. Where has the time gone? How can Hayden possibly be in 5th grade? Unbelievable.
Not only did Hayden grow up on me and make it into 5th grade, he switched schools this year to Cambridge Academy. Location is perfect, in our neighborhood. However, in Queen Creek, 5th grade is Middle School so my boy has 5 different teachers for 6 different class periods. He is changing classes all day and they do NOT have lockers so he has to carry all of his books to and from school each day and to each and every class. Poor boy. His backpack was so heavy we had to find an extra large rolling bag.
Hayden has Mrs. T for Language Arts, P.E. is 2nd hour on MWF and Music on T/Th. Mrs. Butler is his 3rd hour Science teacher, 4th hour is Ms. Little for Math, Lunch is followed by Miss Issar for History and then back to Mrs. T for Study Hall/Character Building.

He is learning great skills in study hall. The students have an agenda with daily requirements that they must write their homework in and anything they need to remember for school. The study hall teacher signs off to make sure that they have written everything down correctly. They are being taught to take notes, how to pull information out of text books, organize their homework and study notes, how to study for tests and how to navigate the way that from here on out school will be for them. It will be good practice for Jr. High, High School and College.

So, my boy is growing up and there is nothing I can do about it. I love the boy that he is becoming. He has so many wonderful qualities. And, although I hate that I am losing my little boy, I do love this new "tween" boy and all of his funny stories, crazy boy loudness and his gentle spirit. If he has to grow up, I couldn't ask for a funner 10 year old that I love more! Here is praying for a great year.

No comments: