Thursday, April 3, 2014

Joyce


With Joyce coming and staying with me at least one day a week, I have had the pleasure of sitting Nd talking with her, finding our more about her life and what her childhood and early marriage years were like. We have talked of Thomas as a boy and his struggles and strengths while growing up. 
My favorite are the quiet talks regarding our Savior, his love and our purpose here. 

The other day, as we sat talking, she said something that really made me think. 

We were talking about random acts of kindness (RAK) and how I want to implement that into Hayden's homeschooling. I want to teach hi to look for ways to serve, give back and pay it forward. Little things. I want him or grasp that little kindnesses. Small things. 

Joyce told me that one of her gifts she uses to lay it forward is her long arms. When she paused there, I am sure I looked confused. I waited for explanation. She said she had been praying of how she could be a true daughter of God and help others each day. As she prays, she asks to be able to find ways to serve and then follow her promptings. 

One day, while at Walmart, she saw a lady struggling to get something down off of a high shelf. She immediately followed the prompting to help. She told the lady that she had long arms and could reach the top shelf, and how could she help her. The lady was grateful. At that moment, she was shown that help comes in all ways. Since then, Joyce didn't just act on the prompting that time, but while in the stores, she continues to find people she can help with her long arms. 

I was so touched by this story. I thought of myself. I thought of others. How many of us? Me? Would think that having long arms was a gift so that you could help others. She didn't just help the one time she was prompted. But learned that is a way she could make a small difference in someone's life each day. She said she hardly ever walks into a store without finding someone to help. 

I love that. I loved her for sharing. And I have been thinking. About it for weeks. 

The Lord promises us that by small and simple things, great things are brought to pass.

He uses others to help answer the prayers of so many of his children here. My short arms have appreciated the help of others on many occasions. It is the gesture that someone cared that made a difference, not the big or small. It's not the service rendered so much that matters but that you were seen and recognized, someone cared enough to help, and you were no longer invisible. What would the world be like if we each used our long arms, or gentle hands, or anything else to serve and love one another. That is definitely a world I would want to live in. 

Joyce taught me a very valuable lesson that day, seated on the couch. To love and serve and be kind, no matter how small the gesture. 

And Joyce, I am so grateful for you and all of your kindnesses and sacrifices. For bringing meals, mankind dinner, picking up Hayden, running me to the doctor, making me lunch, helping me to the bedroom, doing laundry and all the other ways that you love and serve us. We love you so much!!!

No comments: