Thursday, April 3, 2014

Oral surgery

Two weeks ago, Thomas called the dentist after I developed excruciating pain in my jaw. Horrible deep pain that pain meds wouldn't touch. He told the dentist I had another abcess. The dentist was very concerned as where it was hurting and infected as it leads to the heart and/or brain. Each little while he would call to come in earlier, as he rearranged his schedule and moved people to fit me in. I made my sweet husband come with me. I've walked into many dr appointments alone but this one scared me. 

The decision was made that with the infection, the tooth needed to come out. 

The dentist started to numb me and prep me for oral surgery. Just before he put the needle in my mouth, both he and Thomas, simultaneously stopped. The doctor paused and Thomas again starting asking questions. Both felt as though they should stop. I felt the spirit so strong as both of these priesthood holders utilized their priesthood and inspiration to change my treatment course.  

Instead, shots were give and I was sent home on medication for a very long and excruciatingly painful 5 days. During that time, I was on hard pain killers, just trying to endure. I do not think I slept the entire time. I was exhausted, sick and miserable. 

When I went back on the following Monday for the oral surgery, I braced. They could have pulled every tooth, I hurt so bad. 

As the dentist began fixing my teeth, he had the hardest time getting the tooth out. After finally maneuvering it, it came. As it did, he located another problem, more serious and threatening than the current issue. 

As he fixed my teeth, he began talking of a change of plans, and an immiediate transfer to another oral surgeon. He mumbled something about, locating an infection and lump or tumor and it needing to be removed immediately. He went to fix up my mouth and get me to another doctor. He left the room and within three minutes was back and again going into my mouth. 

He said that apparently he was supposed to fix the problem immediately. Now. Or I would have serious problems. He wasn't sure how to proceed. But the Savior was teaching him...instructing him. As he finished, choked up and tears in his eyes, he knew he had been guided and led. 

Luckily for me, I had received a priesthood blessing that morning. In the blessing, it stated, that the real issue would be discovered. The dentist would not know how to fix it but to rest assured, the Savior did, and he would teach the doctor, the problem would be resolved, and I would be okay. 

So as the doctor proceeded, unsure himself how to handle it, we all all experienced a miracle and the Lords hand. I felt the Savior's love wrap around me. No matter how much pain I was in, I was again reassured that the Savior is walking this road with me. 

No comments: