Thursday, August 20, 2015

Cooking classes

One of the many great reasons I love that Hayden is homeschooled. Cooking classes with Grandma Joyce every Wednesday. 

Hayden was so excited to start as he said, "man, I would love to learn to cook as well as grandma someday. This is going to be a wonderful class." 

I love listening to the laughter as Hayden talks grandma's ear off. They talk and tell stories. I listen to Joyce teach Hayden about her childhood and things she did with Thomas. I love that his confidence in the kitchen is improving. He is learning science, reading and following directions, how to modify recipes, how to plan a meal, a week's worth of meals, how to figure out a grocery list based on needs for a week not just a meal and how to plan meals to save the most money. He is learning to start and take inventory of refrigerator items, especially those that need to be eaten right away. Then do that for,the pantry and freezer. Then look at the ads to see what is on sale and based on what is in stock at our home and the sales ads, determine healthy and economical meals. 

Best of all, do you how nice it is to eat a home cooked meal, made with love by grandma and my son. Absolutely delicious. 

Once he starts mastering baking goods, simple meals, crockpot meals, oven and stove cooking, I am ready to have someone teach Hayden to can. We definitely need to can some chicken. 

I'm so grateful for all those that are apart of our village in teaching and caring for us and Hayden. We are so lucky. 

And can can I tell you that chicken and biscuits last week and pork chops and mashed potatoes, corn on the cob and cheesecake this week. I will absolutely love Wednesdays. 

No comments: