Thursday, August 20, 2015

My sister

Seriously. Why do I never take pictures? I've gotten to be such a slacker. 

Regardless. Jodi asked what I wanted for my birthday. All I ever want is time. I love spending time with her. My sweet sister and niece and nephews came over and spent the night and hung out the following day. I loved seeing and talking with my sister. 

We don't have to do anything. Just sitting on the bed or couch talking and laughing are some of my fondest moments. There is something in life about a sister. Someone that loves you and all your imperfections. No judging or unrealistic expectations simply loving me for who I am. It's the greatest gift. I can be me. Whether that is me on my best days of actually,being able to leave the house for a short activity or whether it is in a hospital bed as she comforts me or just hanging out at home, being together is simply enough. 

Jodi took me to one of my favorites, apple dumpling restaurant for breakfast. So fun to just sit and talk and catch up. It was heavenly. Later Lisa came and visited with us and the kids. 

I'm grateful for the world's greatest sister. I am grateful for her sweet children. I love and cherish her kids as if they were my own. 

As she left, I wish she could have stayed forever. But I was so grateful for the time I got to spend with her. She gives me the strength and courage to keep fighting. She helps me to reach deep down and find an inner strength only reachable by my Savior. 

As a child, I rememeber wanting gifts. Today, gifts of time and service and love are so much nearer and dearer to my heart. Just a encouraging word, a hug, a sincere compliment, a hand to hold when I can't do it and an understanding ear and reassuring word mean the most. Knowing that I truly matter mean the most. Jodi is this person to me. She knows how to lift my,spirit and help me find the inner strength to keep going. She reassures me that I am enough. That my efforts, no matter how little, matter. That my life, even as restricted and limited as it is, still matters. That I am still valuable. That I am still needed, wanted, valued and loved. 

Jodi(and so many others) gave me the greatest gift this year. The gift of unconditional love. Of sacrifice. Kindness. Gentleness. Service. And reassured me that in my own way, that I still make a difference and have value. That is am still wanted here. 

I'm grateful for a selfless sister that is full of Christlike love. I may be the older sister but she sure is the example. I love you, Jodi. You will never know how much your visit meant to me. 

No comments: