Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Rainbows


As we pulled up in the driveway a few minutes ago, Hayden yelled, "Look mom, a rainbow!" Then he said, "Do you think your mom is trying to tell you hi and she loves you?".

Yes,rainbows remind me of my mom. At most of the major events in my life, there has always been a rainbow, which makes me think of her. It is her way of telling me that she is still with me. On my wedding day (in fact on mine, Josh's, Jake's, JD's and Jodi's wedding days) there was a rainbow, the day Hayden came home from the hospital, when we lost our baby girl, Kaylee's baptism, our last day in Tahiti, while thinking about her and on many other occasions.

Ironic... I don't know.. and yes, it rained a lot today. I know that. But, in the instance before Hayden said that, I had been thinking about my mom and some decisions I was trying to make in my life. I was actually wondering what she would do if in my shoes. I needed that gentle reminder today that I am not alone, my mom still knows what is going on in my life and the Lord loves me. I'm thankful for these tender mercies that the Lord grants in my life. That moment gave me the sweet reassurance that I already know in my heart what I need to do.

And, yes Hayden, I do think my mom was trying to tell me she loves me, more than just in a rainbow, but from the gentle reminder from my sweet son. And, I needed that today.

3 comments:

Monroe Family said...

Thanks for sharing...I don't think the rainbows are a coincidence. What a great reminder for all of us that were not alone.

Darce said...

Wow! That's beautiful, Jer! I love that you include your mom in your life, and that you recognize the influence she has. And, how awesome is it that you've taught your son that. He's definitely a keeper!

Jamie Jo said...

That was very sweet. I remember your Mom, and I remember crying harder than you at the graveside, and you being so strong and comforting. I have a cousin who is 17 and she lost her Dad to a brain tumor 5 years ago. She won't talk about him, and I think that is so sad. I'm glad you have kept yourself open to that relationship. What a blessing.