Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Phone call

Monday I went to the rheumatologist. He decided to hold off on chemo and immunosuppressant drugs until we can get confirmation on an autoimmune disorder. I struggled as part of me just wanted to try to stop the internal paralysis. Plus, I had emotionally geared up for the beginning of the treatments. So to have to wait to schedule eye, lip, esophagus and lung biopsies was a huge disappointment.

As I was working with Hayden today, the phone rang. The ophthalmologist office called and said the rheumatologist had called and I needed to get in ASAP. I'm glad I didn't have as long to think about it because boy did the couple of hours thinking about an eye biopsy freak me out. 

The ophthalmologist preformed his testing. In order to test positive for Sjogrens disease, the test has to come in under a score of 10. I was at a zero. So there is no doubt that I have this disease. And full blown. 

As I researched Sjogrens and the extent at which I have it, I was amazed at how many of my symptoms are related to this disease. The doctors have thought this was the cause but couldn't prove it. Now there are answers and treatment options. Although this is an incurable disease, it does help that they know the cause and hopefully will be able to ease some of the symptoms. 

Sjogren's disease causes some debilitating symptoms. Small fiber neuropathy, peripheral neuropathy, dysautanomia, neurological issues, sun allergic issues, debilitating fatigue, recurrent sinus & pneumonia and bronchitis infections, struggle swallowing, paralysis of the esophagus, vasculitis, raynaulds, interstitial cystitis, gastroparesis, joint & muscle pain, arthritis, lung issues, ibs, dental issues and decay, dry eyes, cracked tongue, skin problems and more. Eventually it shuts down kidneys and lungs and liver and causes pancreatitis. If it progresses far enough, lymphoma is the next step. 

I have a diagnosis. A reason my body is shutting down. A reason for the pain and diseases and why I'm miserable.  A reason why I struggle each morning to survive. 

I am hopeful that now I can receive the help I need. That insurance will help me pay for my treatments. That now maybe I can receive some relief.  So although it isn't a fun disease, I am grateful that after five long years, that I finally have more answers than questions. And I have a priceless gift....hope! And with hope, anything is possible. 

No comments: