Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Surprise birthday party

My sweet mother in law, Joyce turned 80 years old. She had never had a surprise party and hadn't had a huge birthday party since she turned sweet 16.

So Kelli, being the great daughter she is, organized and planned and got everyone together to surprise her mom for her birthday. Terri and Nathan drive down from Saint George and Scott and Shawna came in from Kingman. The rest of us all gathered at Kelli's house, hiding our cars. 

When Joyce walked in the door she literally fell outside due to shock. She named each of us that were there, going one by one around the room, then her eyes settled on Terri! When did you get here? Then noticed Scott and Shawna, looking even more surprised and she noticed I was actually out of the house. She later told me she didn't know which was more of a shock. Me being there or Scott or Terri.

Kelli had ordered a long sub and had chips and fruit and veggies and cake and goodies. It was a perfect party. Joyce was all smiles. 

The voice level was high. The teens all talked as the adults reminisced. Shawna and I sat and listened. The stories of growing up and traditions and family reunions and vacations. Of how the boys always brought home snakes and spiders and bugs. I laughed. I enjoyed hearing the stories. 

We even played logo party. Teens vs adults and girls vs boys. Umm. Can I say I was on both winning teams. It was so fun. Murphy's aren't big on games so it was something totally new and fun. Oh how we laughed. Joyce was fantastic at charades both acting out and guessing. She still amazes me sometimes and does things I would never have guessed.

I came home and absolutely crashed for days on end. It took absolutely everything out of me to drive to Mesa and spend several hours listening and talking and playing games. But it was so worth it to see the sheer joy on Joyce's face that we were all together. 

Happy birthday Joyce! I hope you know how much we love and cherish you. I really did luck out and get a wonderful mother-in-law that I love. She constantly serves our family, takes great care of us and is willing to sacrifice for us. She is an amazing lady and I am grateful for her dedicated efforts in raising such a wonderful son.
Below: Joyce walking in the door, shocked and surprised to see us all together.
Terri, Joyce, Kassandra, Scott and Shawna
Nathan, Hayden and Logan

Shawna, Scott, Thomas, Terri and Hayden - all sitting and reminiscing.
Terri, Hayden, Nathan, Ann and Victoria
Thomas, Scott, Hayden and Nathan- playing Logo Party
Nathan, Ann, Logan, Logan's girlfriend (Destiny), Lily, Victoria and Kelli
We had a great time. Hayden loved being with his cousins. Thomas had the time of his life being able to be with his mom and siblings. I hope that it doesn't take so many years again before everyone can again get together. I know how important this weekend was to Joyce. All of her loved ones sitting together and enjoying each other's company, rekindling friendships and uniting in love.

No comments: