Friday, October 5, 2012

Courage Award

This boy of mine is so brave. He came home from school the other day and said he needed to talk with me and his dad when he got home from work. After dinner we asked what was up. Hayden explained that he didn't want to talk to me unless Dad was home because he thought it would upset me too much. He explained that he and some other 5th grade boys were being bullied by an 8th grader. I tried to stay calm. Hayden relayed details of being poked at, having his lunch stolen and being picked up and body slammed on the playground.

As we asked Hayden questions, I was in awe of how calm he was. He handled everything without much emotion, just very matter of fact about it all. After we talked about it and came up with a plan, I hugged him and asked him how he was emotionally dealing with all of this.

Hayden's response was one I always want to remember and hope he always feels this way. He said, "Mom, he can body slam me, he can hit me, he can steal my food, but he cannot make me upset, I would have to choose to allow him to make me scared and allow him to control me to feel bad." When did this kid become so smart. I was so proud. I was so glad that he has the self confidence to know that one person not liking him or being mean wasn't a reflection on who he is.

The next morning, Thomas and Hayden went to see the principal. Hayden expressed what had been happening to him and some other students. She was very upset and promised that it would be handled that day. She wanted Hayden to show her who this boy was. Hayden was a little nervous to point him out. As Hayden walked out of the office, the boy was walking by and he was able to show her without any one else knowing.

Hayden came home and told me that he had prayed that there was some way that he wouldn't have to actually point at him in a group where others could see. He was so happy that the boy didn't see him and realized what a blessing that was.

As Hayden walked in the door, I gave him the "Courage Award". For exemplary courage in protecting the others around him, standing up for his own rights and not allowing anyone else to define who he is or how he feels about himself.

He loved the recognition from me that he handle the situation so well. I hurt like crazy that someone was picking on him yet at the same time was so in awe of how well he handled the situation. I hope he always allows himself to define who he is, not others. Because he is one amazing kid that I could not be more proud of. Way to go, Hayden!
     

1 comment:

Pallets and Pearls said...

Wow, what a great boy you have. I'm so impressed at how he handled it. Good job Hayden!