Saturday, October 6, 2012

Saturday General Conference

I cannot remember another time in my life that I have been inspired, uplifted and more excited about the talks shared in General Conference. I was spiritually fed beyond compare. As President Monson, the living prophet today, spoke from the microphone in the conference center, something stirred inside of me. I felt excitement, joy, eager anticipation and gratitude, that I was going to be able to hear our dear, sweet prophet give me wise counsel today.

As President Monson began to speak, there was an added excitement, when he announced that a new temple would be built in Tuscon, Arizona, which will make the sixth temple in Arizona... six. I remember being so grateful growing up that we lived by the Mesa Temple. As each new temple in Arizona has been announced or started, I have awaited anxiously for the temple open house and the opportunity to walk through with Hayden and help him understand the importance of temples on the earth today. How blessed are we that we will have temples surrounding us... Mesa, Snowflake, Gila Valley, Phoenix, Gilbert and Tuscon, with the last three currently under construction.

As I was still soaking in the news of the new temple to be built in Tucson, the prophet announced that the mission ages for young men and women were changing. The young men will be able to go at 18 years of age, once they have graduated from high school. The young women will be able to go at 19 years old. I about fell off my chair. Unbelievable. My mind was racing at how this would impact the young people today. Thoughts raced through my mind of how many more missionaries this would put in the field. How many more lucky people will be brought in contact with the missionaries and what a sound basis for each of these young people's futures.

I know that my choosing to serve a mission has a profound impact on me as a person, as a mother, as a wife and especially as a daughter of God. As I turned 21 years old, I was not anticipating serving a mission, after all, I had a missionary coming home and I was going to be planning a wedding. But, the Lord had different plans for my life and after receiving inspiration that my Heavenly Father's will was for me to serve a full time mission, I gladly accepted his call.

My mission was a time of great growth for me spiritually. I learned to trust my Savior. I left my family and friends behind and got on a plane and flew to Korea, away from all I knew and all those who loved me. It was a year and a half that I was able to rely solely on my Father in Heaven and in his son, Jesus Christ and in the Holy Ghost. I learned to listen to what they were telling me. I learned to trust my Savior. I learned to rely solely on him.

Also, through serving a mission, I learned to teach the gospel of Jesus Christ. I learned to identify to Hayden when he is feeling the promptings of the Holy Ghost. I learned to not be afraid to stand up and say, I am a Mormon, I am a daughter of God, I love my Savior and I know he loves me.

I try to let these tidbits of knowledge shine through and be an example to those around me that I know I am a daughter of God. The gift I desire most in life is that others will look through me, past me and see the reflection of their Savior. Nothing could make me more pleased than to have someone be able to realize they too are a daughter of a king.

I cannot wait to find out more. I feel the weight of the responsibility as a mom, to teach Hayden more... to help him become the best he can be. I must help him prepare now to meet the challenges he will inevitably face.


I pray that my son will continue to walk uprightly before our Father in Heaven. That he will continue to trust his Father in Heaven to lead him, guide him and teach him. I pray Hayden will have the courage to stand up to others, out of love and proclaim what he knows is true.

Most of all, I love the peace that this day of inspiring talks brought to my soul. I feel spiritually fed and I hunger for more insight, knowledge and peace that tomorrows talks will bring. 

No comments: