Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Boogie Boarding

This is the first year that Hayden really caught the boogie boarding fever. He has always spent a few minutes in the water but preferred the sand and digging to the ocean waves.

This year was different.

Hayden found his love of the ocean.

He learned how to boogie board and ride the waves in and he was forever changed. He found a new love. His love of the ocean grew and he conquered his fears. He became a great boogie boarder.
The first day on the beach, Kaylee gave him some tips. He followed her out and attempted to conquer the ocean and learn to ride the waves in.
I love the pep talk that Kaylee gave Hayden as they headed out.
I loved his expressions as he caught the first big wave that rolled in and he rode it the entire way in.
He then caught the next one.

He was hooked! From that point on, he spent more time in the ocean than he did on the shore.
I loved watching all the kids in wetsuits go out to the ocean.

Had I not been in my room, one of my favorite mental pictures is that of Hayden heading out to the ocean with over a dozen of us cousins, each of them armed with their own boogie board, ready to catch the waves and feel the thrill of ridding them in.
He loved it so much that Suzi went and bought him his own boogie board so he didn't have to be in on the rotation of boogie boards from the condo. He joined the ranks with Josh's, Jake's, JD's and Jodi's kids and earned his first great board.
Most of all, he set a goal and conquered his fears. I am so proud of my boy and his constant effort to better himself, push himself and to try harder.

I am not sure when my boy grew up. I definitely noticed how much he has changed in a year. He has made amazing progress. He has tackled hard things. He has been amazing. He has come out on the absolute top.

No comments: