Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Jake

Imagine my surprise as I am sitting on the beach and Jake comes up with two plates full of fish, shrimp, fries, coleslaw and clam chowder from our favorite Harbor Fish and Chips.

The rest of the gang had all gone the night before, keeping up with our annual tradition that we started years and years and years ago with my mom. Each year, the first night we are all at the beach, we go to fish. We then venture out for fish at least another time or two while we are there.

With my limited capabilities, I was not able to go sit in a restaurant or walk far enough to go to eat fish with the gang. I guess Jake missed me there because the next day he went just to get me fish, so I could eat it with everyone and not miss out on our annual tradition.

I wish I could adequately express my heart as Jake walked up and said, "Jer, Jer! I thought my sister would love to eat some fish. It breaks my heart that you had to miss out. I wanted you to know that I remember you and love you." If I wasn't so overjoyed, I would have broken down in tears because of how touched my heart was. I cannot express the love I felt for Jake, my sweet brother, that was watching out for me. I was in awe at his kind and generous gesture.

As I sat on the beach and ate the fish and shrimp, I cannot remember a time when it had ever tasted so good. Each bite was filled with love and gratitude for such a loving brother. I sat in between Jodi and Thomas and shared with them. I think both of them were equally grateful for the kindness that Jake extended to me.

Being sick isn't fun. I absolutely cannot stand to miss out on fun, especially with my family. I love and honor traditions, so to break them, hurts my heart and soul. But, thru being sick, I have seen the best in people. I have been the recipient of so much good. I have felt unbelievable love. I have seen amazing acts of kindness and charity and genuine love.

Jake gave me so much more that day than a meal. He gave me hope. He made me feel important. He gave me a wonderful memory that I will always treasure and absolutely cherish.

How lucky am I to be surrounded by such incredible people?

No comments: