Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Life on the Beach

There is something about sitting on the beach, listening to the waves roll in and crash on the shore. Compile that beautiful sound and rhythm with a gentle cool ocean breeze and the sound of children's laughter and that is my personal heaven.

I love listening to Hayden and all of my nieces and nephews talking, giggling and playing on the beach. I take a deep breath with each wave crashing, as it sets my heart back into a perfect beating rhythm. I find joy as I hear my brothers laughing and teasing the kids and the tenderness of my sweet sister consoling the last child that was plummeted by a wave. I cherish each, I love you, as a child asks for a treat, help wrapping a towel around them or finding them a shovel amongst the sand and piles of toys.

To me, each of these small and insignificant moments by themselves encompass what I affectionately know as our Oceanside annual beach trip with the family.

I marvel at how grown up Hayden has become. I still love him in a wetsuit with the ocean waves crashing behind him.
I love that Hayden idolizes his Uncle Jake and that Jake always takes time to tease and play with Hayden.
I love the first time each year that I watch Hayden venture into the waves of the ocean. I sigh with reflection at the changes in him and marvel at the incredible young man that he has become.
I find joy and awe in watching my sweet husband carry arm fulls of chairs, towels, sand toys, boogie boards, drinks, bags and usually carrying a child to the beach. This is after he has already woken up early, checked out chairs, found the perfect spot on the beach and reserved us the perfect beach spot for the day. He always takes care of Jodi, Suzi, my aunts and especially me and Hayden. I marvel at the goodness and kindness and selflessness of my husband.
I absolutely find joy in Hayden smiling as he grabs his shovel and is off for a building adventure. He loves the sand. He loves to build. He loves to create. He has the best imagination around. Sure he loves electronics but boy, he could entertain himself all day with sand and a shovel or a simple rock and stick. I love that about my boy!
I love love love getting to spend so much time with my beloved nephews and nieces. I love each of them dearly and each holds a very special place in my heart. Brigham was a delight this trip. I enjoy his hugs. I love that if his momma isn't around that I am the one he wants.

Talmage hates the ocean. He wanted nothing to do with the water. I love his expression here as he is telling Jake why he hates the ocean is because the sand crabs will eat him if he touches the water. My scared of nothing nephew that is a dare devil and adventurous in every way is terrified of the ocean and it made me laugh. I secretly loved it because he would cuddle on the beach with me and was always ready to head up to the room to take an afternoon snooze with me.
Suzi is great! She made this trip so amazing for us. She went every morning to get me a fountain diet coke so I could have my daily fix. She spoiled Hayden like crazy. She spent time with all the nieces and nephews individually doing what they wanted and making them feel like a million bucks. What a true gift.
Hayden and Chase boogie boarded in the waves, dug holes, made forts, battled pirates, made sand castles, played Pacific Rim games and had a fabulous time together.
My dad actually made it to the beach a little more with his sisters in town. He loves his big sisters. He adores them. I always hope that my brothers adore me as much as my dad adores them. He loves spoiling them rotten. It reminds me how Jake treats me and Jodi. They are definitely loved by my dad and all of us.
Jake and Rosie and the girls. Jake is crazy and brings Kaylee and Katelyn friends. Why? I do not know. Kaylee is 13, Katelyn is 12 and Kiley is 10. There are definitely a lot of cousins to play with. In fact, quite often Natasha and Kierra are off doing their own things while the sisters play together and with the rest of their cousins. Natasha and Kierra are around so much that we have just adopted them and know that Jake has five girls instead of three. It works. The more the merrier.
Talmage, Kaylee and Brigham. The best way to keep track of kids on the beach is definitely to bury them in the sand. They are stuck and cannot get out which means they cannot roam and get lost. I am all for burying the little ones every morning.
Hayden absolutely adores his Grandpa! They are buddies. Hayden treasures each and every moment spent with Grandpa. He loved him being on the beach so he could show him how well he was boogie boarding. We are so grateful to my Dad and that he makes this amazing trip happen each year for all of us! It is something I look forward to all year!
My sweet sister with her daughter, Brooklyn. Oh how I love these two. My sister is such an incredible mom. She is consistent, loving, kind and parents intentionally. She is the greatest example of an absolutely amazing mom! Because of her, I have three absolutely incredible kiddos that I love. No, they are technically not mine, but I definitely claim them. I love them like they are my own. So Missy Brooklyn, is my girl! Thomas and I adore her!
Hayden spent the entire first week we were at the beach counting down the days until his dad arrived. He had all of his cousins coming in to look forward to, with only Jake's with us the first week. Who he couldn't wait to see was his dad. He kept saying, when dad gets here..... I love these two and the amazing relationship they have. Hayden thinks his dad walks and water and well, I would have to agree he is the best dad ever!
My sweet sister. I love love love each and every moment that we spend sitting on the beach and chatting. We talk about everything from the latest parenting books we have read to our church callings to our thoughts about life. I could spend every day for the rest of my life sitting and chatting with her and never run out of things to talk about with her and never get tired of her. She is the most amazing woman that walks this earth. Hands down.
My sweet husband. Like Hayden, I counted down the days until he arrived. I feel safe when he is with me. I do not worry about seizures or episodes or anything. I know with him by my side, I am completely safe. He takes care of me like no other. He makes me breakfast, he gets me diet cokes, he carries my chair, he helps wherever and whenever he can. He is the most attentive husband in the world and he is mine. I love him and cherish him with all of my heart. I am so grateful for the precious moments we were able to spend on the beach smiling and enjoying this life together. I am so lucky that I get to spend eternity with this amazing man by my side!
My sweet little Talmage. He is one of my most tender mercies ever. Heavenly Father knew I would need his tender little spirit and his amazing little spunk to keep me going even on my roughest days. He loves and adores me. He is wrapped around my finger and could get absolutely whatever he wanted out of me. The joy he brings to my life only compares to Hayden. He thinks me and Thomas are Grandma and Papa half the time and we love it. He makes us so excited to be grandparents. Oh how I love that sweet boy!
Thomas is with me on loving Jodi's kids like our own. Brigham can get Thomas to do whatever he wants. One flash of that smile and Thomas melts. If Brigham pulls out all the stops and flashes the smile with a tender hug, he could have whatever he wanted. It was pretty easy for him to convince Thomas to bury him standing up! Love these guys!
Most of all, I love my little family. I love when the three of us are together. I love vacationing with these two. It has been a rough year. It was so nice to get away and take a break from it all. Sure, seizures still came and I was exhausted and slept a lot, but we made incredible memories. We had moments that will carry us through the crazy days that lie ahead. We cherished and treasured the days spent on the beach. We laughed. We played. We prayed. We thanked our Father in Heaven for these precious and special moments together. Life really is good. I am so grateful to be on this journey with these two. They make the roughest days bearable and the best days amazing! Love you so much Thomas and Hayden!

No comments: