Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Welcome Home

This is the first year that while at the beach that a piece of my heart was at home. Hayden and I both missed Max like crazy.

We have had dogs before and I have honestly loved them. I especially was close to Toby and he was my bud. I am just in awe at how quickly and how deeply that I have fallen in love with Max.

Max was supposed to be Hayden's dog. A dog that I would eventually grow to love because Hayden loved him. However, Max is ever bit as much my dog as he is Hayden's.

I am utterly and completely in love with this little dog. He is like another child. I guess with me at home all day long, mostly alone, that Max has become my companion.

He spends most of the day curled up on my lap.

When I hurt, he gets Thomas or Hayden. He puts his head on my shoulder and licks my tears away when the pain is more than I can bear. Most of all, I think he makes me feel needed and useful. He calms my soul and lifts my spirit. When I struggle to just make it through another day, Max sits patiently on my lap, just content that I am with him.

Max was heaven sent when I needed him most.

After school yesterday, Hayden asked me, "Mom, do you think that Max was supposed to come to our family, just like I was supposed to be yours and Dad's boy?" I sat and thought for a moment. I remembered the day, how I found out about Max and the feelings I had when I knew he was the dog for Hayden. I looked down at Max on my lap, keeping me company and helping me to feel needed. I put my arm around Hayden, took Max in my other arm and whispered, "Yes, Hayden. I do. Our family is now complete."

I honestly do not know how I would be surviving Hayden going back to school, Thomas working such long hours and being confined to my home alone without Max.

Our dear Savior continues to bless me in ways that I could never imagine. In ways that I would never even know to ask. With blessings that I didn't even know would bless my life. But, my Savior knows me. He knows my heart. He knows my needs and what will bring me happiness, peace and joy. Because he loves me immensely, he wants to bring me comfort, peace and joy and he knew what my heart needed and longed for.

We had a great time at the beach, but instead of being really sad to head home, it was wonderful to have Max to great us, excited, happy, runny crazy around the house and filled with love and anticipation of our return. As I went to sleep with Hayden on one side of me, Thomas on the other and Max in between me and Hayden, I smiled. My life really is good. I have been incredibly blessed beyond compare.
(Thanks Julie for taking such great care of Max while we were gone. It was so reassuring to not worry about Max and know he was in great hands.)

No comments: