Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Surf lessons

First of all, we made it to the beach! Suzi, Hayden and I took off very early Sunday morning and drove to Oceanside. With relatively few episodes, only three seizures, we made it! (Too bad one of those seizures was in a restaurant in San Diego whole eating breakfast at the table. There is a first time for everything!) 

I was so happy to feel the ocean breeze on my face, to smell the salty but sweet ocean air and let my heart reset to the rhythm of the ocean waves. 

When I pull I to Oceanside, my heart is at home. So many good memories rush in and my heart smiles. 

First morning on the beach was beautiful. Hayden, for the first time, was really wanting to be in the ocean and riding waves. Without Thomas here, there was no one to really work with him and teach him the tricks. Suzi went and put him in surf school with a personal instructor. He loved it! He did great! Within the hour, he was up and riding and catching waves. He was in heaven! He loved learning to surf instead of boogie boarding. 

He is ready now to keep up with all the rest of the cousins in the waves instead of just playing in the sand. His first love is the sand but I love that he has also developed a love for the waves. 

I love sitting on the balcony and just listening to the ocean and watching the people on the beach. Yesterday, I spent a long time watching a golden lab catch a ball way out in the ocean. The owner would throw the ball into the waves, and the dog would jump the waves and catch the ball. On the way in, he would turn, look for a wave and ride it in. The dog was literally playing catch while body surfing. Too funny! 

Plus, if almost a third of my day entails napping. There is no better place to take a snooze than on the balcony overlooking the beach and listening to the waves. Just heaven!

First day....success! So grateful I made it here and am able to enjoy the ocean with Hayden, Suzi and Jake's gang! What a great day!

No comments: