Thursday, February 7, 2013

Caramel Love

Last Thursday, I was sitting on the couch with the front door open, trying to soak in the gentle breeze. Earlier that day, my heart monitor wouldn't quit going off and so I enjoyed the beautiful weather from my climate controlled couch. All of a sudden, Hayden began yelling, "Mom! Mom! Jackson and his mom are outside. Can I go say hi?" As he ran out the door to talk to his buddy.

Jennifer (Jackson's mom) and Geneva (Jett's mom) walked up and Jennifer told me she had something for me. I slowly got off the couch and walked to the door, whole inviting them in.

As I approached the door, she handed me a ziplock bag filled with cash, coins and checks. She explained that she had made her famous and delicious homemade caramels, attached a note that read, "You haven't really lived until you have done something for someone who could never repay you."

She gathered her sons, Geneva and Jett, loaded all the caramels into the wagon and began going door to door in our neighborhood. At each door she briefly explained my situation,my need for medical treatments not covered by insurance, and proceeded to sell her yummy caramels. She further explained that each door she knocked on donated to the cause and donated extremely generous. She added that she caught all at home besides three houses. She relayed stories of people donating, the love that they expressed for me, and the hearts that were full and touched. Even several small children adding their own precious coins from their piggy banks. Tears swelled in my eyes.

I had no idea that my dear friend was out making caramels and walking around the neighborhood collecting generous donations for my cure. As she stretched her hand out and told me how much they raised, I really lost it and the tears took over. She expressed that this incredible Neighborhood that we live in, donated over $500. I about fell in the floor when she explained what she had done.

Gratitude swelled in my heart. It swelled all the way from my emotionally charged heart and the gratitude continued as tears of joy ran down my face. I looked at this bag I was holding. I was shocked. In awe.

I could not believe that this was actually happening. The love I felt has no words. How do I express my gratitude and friendship for my dear friend and her generosity and love? I had no idea she was doing this.

My heartfelt thanks go out to everyone for their generosity, kindness, love and support. I am so touched.



1 comment:

Connie said...

What a beautiful story! I love everything about it...thanks for sharing, friend!