Saturday, February 16, 2013

Valentine Cupcakes for a Cure

Valentine's Day Cupcakes for a Cure was a miracle in and of itself. The orders were so numerous that Jodi had to enlist a couple of friends to help bake the batter she made up.  Jodi made 1,152 cupcakes on February 13, 2013. That is absolutely unbelievable. 96 dozen cupcakes.

I am amazed and in awe on so many levels that I don't even know where to start or how to express myself.

I am in awe of the number of generous and loving friends, family, acquaintances and people I don't even know that ordered cupcakes. The generosity of those around me just astounds me.

The sacrifice and love of my sister, Jodi, is beyond words. Her love for me is endless and eternal. She is definitely the world's greatest sister. What would I do without her? Where would I be without her?

I can't help but recall sitting at Jodi's counter, in tears, not knowing what to do or where to turn. My life seemed over. If the money wasn't raised and raised quickly, I would not be able to receive any more care or more treatments. I wasn't even sure how we were going to pay for my heart and seizure medications, much less anything else. Jodi talked of Cupcakes for a Cure. We ran the numbers. I told Jodi, we would have to sell a thousand cupcakes to make a dent. I thought it was impossible. Who would buy them? How would Jodi make that many?

Fast forward only a month later and Jodi has made more dozens that I can count but approximately 225 dozen. That is 2,700 cupcakes in total.

Amazed, in awe, there are no words for my gratitude. My appreciation. My love.

My admiration goes out of course to Jodi and all those that have helped with making or purchasing cupcakes. The generosity of so many. My Savior for helping this to all unfold.

Jodi dropped off the money raised from the cupcakes. She was so worn out...so exhausted....she had given her all. I walked out to the car to get the money. As she sat and counted it out, I was speechless. I fought back tears. I said a silent prayer.

As Jodi and I talked, we were in awe with the entire Cupcakes for a Cure operation. How it came about, how many people responded and the generosity and love of those we are surrounded by.

We have officially met my minimum deductible required for me to start back into treatments. I cannot express my gratitude and appreciation for that. Also for the Lord holding on to me and keeping me safe until the money could be raised.

I know the road ahead is long. Copays and medicines and treatments denied by insurance are still ahead. Experimental treatments that are not covered, all natural doctors that are helping and so many other costs are involved, but I can move forward with the next round of testing and treatment that I need and so desperately require.

The road ahead for an unknown disease is long. Cures seem impossible, at best. But I have hope. I have the faith I need to walk this road.

I firmly believe that if I were not supposed to live and fight this fight, the Lord would not have helped us to raise the money for the next experimental treatment. Cupcakes for a Cure not only is financially providing me with a vehicle for money to come in, it is also providing the strength to keep going, keep fighting this fight, keep moving forward. With the love of countless people donating, providing hope and love, I must keep fighting to live. Others have too much invested in me. The Lord has too much invested in me. Thomas, Hayden, Jodi, and so many others have too much time and love invested in me for me to give up this fight.

In return for all the generosity that has been poured onto me, I promise to make each dollar count, each kind gesture, each act of service and love, repayable by my finding a cure. And as they find a cure for me, I am hopeful that thousands of others that come along will not be given a four month maximum for life, but they will have the lifesaving treatments, cures, and knowledge to save those that walk this path after me.

I am grateful for each and every one that has helped to pave the way for me to continue this fight. My gratitude, love and appreciation is beyond any words. Thank you.




Cupcakes for a Cure has definitely healed my heart.... thank you for joining with me and my loved ones to find a cure for me and so many others.

No comments: