Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Hayden's first Valentine (besides me)

Hayden has watched Thomas making necklaces and jewelery for me and others. One night as Thomas was making a necklace, Hayden asked if he could make one for someone. Thomas said sure, and Hayden told him he really wanted to do something special for Brooklyn because she is his best friend that is a girl.

Hayden took out all the beads, lined them up and spent probably 30 minutes putting the beads in different combinations, carefully designing the perfect necklace for Brooklyn.

He spent the next couple of hours perfecting his creation, stringing beads and creating his masterpiece.

When Thomas added on the clasp on the end for Hayden, he stepped back and admired his work. He even tried it on to make sure it would fit Brooklyn perfectly.

Then, like most, who create something, he started questioning if she would like it. We assured him and he couldn't wait for Valentine's Day to roll around to give it to her.

A month went by so slowly, as almost each day, Hayden asked if it could be a "just because" present instead. He couldn't wait.

We made him hold out.
Valentine's Day rolled around and on Wednesday, February 13th we had a Valentine's Party for Jodi's kids while she was making cupcakes. Hayden was so excited but nervous at the same time.

As Hayden gave it to her and explained that he made it, a huge smile came across Brooklyn's face! He then added, I figured you should be my valentine because you are more like my sister and best friend than anyone. Her smile spread further across her face as she admired it and let Hayden's words soak in.
She immediately put it on and commented, that it was perfect to wear with anything. Hayden's smile grew, too. Both were happy and thrilled with the outcome.
I love these two so much. I love that Hayden has Brooklyn, Brigham and Talmage. No, they aren't siblings. But they are incredible cousins and best buds. They act like brother and sister. They are either the best of friends or worst of enemies. Lately, however, they spend about 90% of their time just being best friends.
I pray that they always stay close. I always wanted a big brother to protect me. Brooklyn has that in Hayden if she wants it. Hayden adores her. He loves her with all the love in his heart. She really is his Valentine. Someday he will find the "love of his life". But right now, I couldn't be happier that he recognizes that she truly is his Valentine.

1 comment:

Jodi Davis said...

Brooklyn came home so excited to show me the necklace. She showed me everything else and then said and this is THE BEST one EVER as she pulled out the necklace. SO CUTE! I love that they play so well now.