Saturday, March 16, 2013

First Scout Campout



I cannot believe that Hayden headed out for his first scout camp out early this morning.

He wasn't sure last night if he was ready to go. But as we packed his backpack, pulled out the tent, sleeping bag, filled his camelpack with water, and put treats in for all the boys, the smile across his faced stretched wider with excitement and anticipation.

We are in such a great ward. The leaders that called to make sure Hayden was going to go on the campout were too numerous to list. His scout leaders called, the young men's leaders, the bishopric and other parents. Hayden is very loved in this ward. He has so many people that genuinely care about him.

I was doing all I could not to let me hesitation show through. I have all the confidence in the world in Hayden. I know he has the power to do anything he sets his mind to. I just am not ready to let him grow up. I know that this is the start of the journey to his mission. My job from here on out is to prepare him to go out into the world, without me.

I thought long and hard to what it must have been like for our Father in Heaven to let us go. He made sure we had everything we needed for our journey here to earth, just like I did with Hayden. I am sure that before I left that he sat and counciled with me like I did with Hayden before he walked out the door. I reminded him of his tasks and assured him he had everything needed to enjoy and conquer his journey. I handed Hayden his scriptures, told him to pray if he felt lonely and assured him that the Holy Ghost was with him. 

Hayden wanted me to ride with Thomas to drop him off this morning. When we arrived at Brother Hamblin's house, Rylan was already there. Hayden jumped out of the car and was ready to go. He hugged me but more for my sake. He was off. Ready for an adventure. Ready to spread his wings and fly.

As Thomas drove me home, I said a prayer for my sweet boy. I want him to have fun. I want him to find joy in his adventures. I also want him to know that he is not alone. His Father in Heaven is near. He sends the Holy Ghost to comfort him.

As I sat today thinking of what Hayden must be doing, I wondered what those last pieces of information that our Father told me before I left his side. He must of reminded me that I am His. I am his daughter. Assured me that he is always as close as a prayer.

I am praying that he has a great time. He is taking his first steps towards earning his eagle. It is a long journey but as all journeys, it starts with a single step. Hayden took the first step, with a huge smile on his face, ready to conquer the world. As his mom, I couldn't be more proud. As I knelt down when I got home, I was reassured that my Father in Heaven feels the same. He smiles at me as I take my first step down the new path of helping Hayden find independence from me and more dependence of the Savior.

No comments: