Sunday, March 3, 2013

Fast & Testimony Meeting

The first Sunday of each month is set aside for us to fast and then attend a special Sacrament meeting where all are invited to stand and share their testimonies of the Savior and the experiences that have led them to their beliefs. To fast is to go without food and drink voluntarily for a certain period of time. Fasting combined with sincere prayer can strengthen us spiritually, bring us closer to God, and help us prepare ourselves and others to receive His blessings.

Last week, our ward members held a special fast for me. It was the combined efforts, fasting and prayers of so many, for my behalf, that opened the windows of heaven and poured blessings down upon me and my family. My gratitude for all those that fasted and prayed for me is inexpressable.

Today was the day set aside that as a ward we gather and in fasting join and share our testimonies.  After the experiences of the last week, I knew that I wanted to get up and thank all those that prayed and fasted and express to them my gratitude and in more detail the miracles that have taken place over the past week.

After the Sacrament was passed and the testimony meeting was about to begin, my heart was beating through my chest and my palms were damp with sweat. My heart knew the stories I needed to tell, but I still get nervous standing up in front of so many and sharing me deepest and most sacred feelings.

As I walked up to the pulpit and looked out over the congregation, my heart swelled inside. Because of the love and support, prayers, fasting and pleas of these people to our Father in Heaven, I had the privilege of standing before them. There are no words to express the deepest gratitude and appreciation of my heart.

I shared my love and broke down the past two weeks and the miracles that had taken place in our lives. I began with two Saturdays ago when Thomas and I were in prayer and the Bishop called to see if the ward could hold a special fast for me. In those precious moments, although so unsure about so much, I felt the love of my Savior and his arms wrapped around me. He knew of my fears and wanted to show me the love placed around me.

Immediately after church that next day, I felt the prayers and my body started overcoming the meningitis. I felt the strength of so many praying for me. I then expressed the details of last Sundays events, what the doctors were saying, and the events that took place throughout the week.

I expressed my great gratitude for being alive to stand in front of them today. I relayed that the blessing assured me that through the combined fasting and prayers of the Desert Mountain ward that the Lord was granting their pleas and sparing my life. Because of these wonderful people that I was surrounded by, I was still here.

I went on to testify of our Savior. I testified of his goodness. I testified of my knowledge that he lives. He loves us. He knows each of us individually. He knows our deepest fears, deepest agonies, greatest desires of our hearts and the very beings that we are. I expressed that no matter how difficult this trial became, the fact was, my Savior stood at my side. He lifted me. He carried me. He shed tears for me. He sent his earthly angels to surround me and buoy me up when I was faint.

I testified that our Savior does indeed still work miracles today, just as when he walked this earth. He continues to bless us. He continues to heal us both spiritually and physically. And, in my case, he has literally spared my life time and time again.

I bore testimony of the great plan of salvation that was prepared for us from the beginning. That even if I would have died, that I would see Thomas and Hayden again and be with them in the next life. I praised our Savior for his love for each of us and our ability to remain as families forever.

I ended with the words to I know that my Redeemer lives, assuring them that I believe, with all my heart that my Redeemer lives. He comforts me when I am faint, he listens to my heartaches, he lifts me, he walks with me and he loves me. I have felt his warm embrace. I have been encircled by his love. I have felt his healing powers. I am a living witness of his miracles and his love.

My love for my Savior is without limits. He knows me. He loves me. He cares for me, just as he does for each of us. Nothing we do can keep him from loving us. His love is perfect and complete.

The Spirit was so strong. I again felt the loving arms of my Savior wrap around me and let me know I am his.

After this incredible experience, my sweet husband stood and humbly, quietly, and with the Spirit bore a beatuiful testimony of turning things over to the Savior. That sometimes it takes all we have to say, "Thy will be done". But, when we do, He wraps us in his love and we are taken care of.

Thomas testified, as I did, of the miracles of Jesus. The miracles that have been so generously and incredibly placed in our lives. He expressed gratitude that the Lord spared my life. He expressed his deep love for our Savior.

I love my sweet husband that relies on our Savior. That he hears His voice and is willing to submit his will to that of our Savior's. He is a great man. I am so blessed that he is mine.

When Sacrament meeting was over, the love and hugs that were expressed and given were beyond words. I felt so loved. I felt so safe and secure. I felt the loving arms of our Savior wrap around me by all those giving me hugs today. It was an experience I will never forget. The love that I felt, indescribable. As the meetings went on, the hugs, expressions of love and well wishes were endless.

As I sat in Relief Society, surrounded by these amazing daughters of God, my mind escaped to my Savior. As I was being wrapped in the arms of love here, I thought to myself and wondered what if I hadn't made it. A calm encircled me and I felt reassurance. The love that was shown today would have been the same but in a different sphere. Had I gone home to my Father in Heaven, I would have been encircled there in the arms of so many who have gone before and love me. As it was a glorious day at church here, it would have been a glorious reunion in heaven, I am sure.

The gospel is true whether we are walking our lives out on earth or if we go on to the next phase of our progression in the heavens. The relationships and love we share and give is endless and never forgotten.

Our Savior lives. He loves us. I have felt the warm embrace of our Savior as he has walked me through my trials. He has helped me to find the good, see the joy and feel the incredible peace that comes from knowing this is his plan, he is in charge and if I put my trust in my Savior, all the details will work out.

I am grateful for the miracle of my life. I am grateful for my Savior's love. I am grateful for the prayers from each of you, my loved ones and friends. May the Savior watch over and bless your lives, just as he has mine.

No comments: