Thursday, December 29, 2011

Christmas Eve 2011

My favorite day of the year is Christmas Eve. I love the annual Simonton Christmas Eve party that my dad throws. I look forward to it the other 364 days of the year. It is Hayden's favorite day, too. So many of our traditions revolve around this day. I smile as I walk into my Dad's house knowing that sheer fun and joy is about to be had.
Little miss Brinley sees me and runs to give me a hug. Oh how I love that little girl. And, she is one smart cookie, she knows that she can get anything out of me or Suzi.
Hayden loves every minute with his cousins. Hayden, Braden and Alec were always together this year. I loved watching him have so much fun and laughing so hard with his cousins.
I love that there are so many cousins so close to his age. They laugh, they talk, they are loud, they make a mess and boy are they happy. Love this of the kids, Katelyn, Brooklyn, Kiley, Talmage, Braden, Hayden, Alec and Brigham.
Uncle Jake is definitely the favorite of all the boys. He roughs them up, plays with them and gets them all riled up. Boy how the little guys love him. Hayden idolizes him and loves every minute he can tease or be teased by his Uncle Jake.
Grinch... pass.... Grinch.... pass.... Grinch... We love the Grinch game, passing presents, reading the story, anxiously awaiting the end result and to see what numbered present you end up with. It is a great tradition and one that every child looks forward to, and every adult, as well.
We have so many of us, that it takes the entire room filled with chairs to get us all in. I love that Hayden sat with the boys this year instead of mom... yes, he is growing up and I am trying to be better at letting him.
Jodi Lewis got to read the story this year. Once the story was over, the fun of trading presents and "stealing" others items is so much fun. This year we scored and ended up with 50 one dollar bills, a $50 gift card to Marshalls and 2 packages of Beyblades. Fun. Fun. Fun.
We started at 3pm and had extra time before the "Big Man" arrived, so we put on Elf. It was so fun watching it and hearing all the kiddos laugh. Elf is definitely one of our family's favorite Christmas movies. We saw it at least a half a dozen times this Christmas season. I love this tender picture of Kiley watching Elf with Talmage.
Simonton grandkids... minus Bryson, Coby and Tanner who were at home in Minnesota. I sure love each of these kiddos and the joy they bring to my life.
Best part of the night... Santa. He brings each child the first gift of Christmas. They each love it and look forward to making their last requests before Santa stops by their homes in a few short hours.
Santa did not disappoint when he brought Rocka XL from Hero Factory. Definitely a huge smile and loud Yeeessss out of Hayden when he opened his present. Better yet, he even ran up and hugged Santa and thanked him for the gift!
Hayden had to show Grandpa what Santa brought and explain to him all the ends and outs and intricacies of Hero Factory guys. Grandpa was a great sport and sat and listened intently.
I love that Hayden went back to thank Santa for the gift. It is definitely one of my favorite moments of Christmas as Santa replied, "Thank you, Hayden for coming back and telling me thank you. Most kids just open their gifts, play with them and forget to tell me thanks." Hayden hugged Santa and it was a very tender moment that I am sure impressed deeply on Hayden's mind. Thank you, Santa! Some lessons come better from Santa than mom.
Our family with Santa. We asked that Santa say a sweet prayer for our family that health and happiness would be ours in the coming year. We are so blessed to have each other. This Christmas was a sweet reminder of all the joy and blessings that are in our lives.
The Simonton clan that was together on Christmas Eve. We had fun! We laughed. I loved the memories made. I can still feel the sweetness and beautiful peace that was in my heart on that beautiful Christmas Eve night. I felt the Joy that comes from family, love and making lasting Christmas memories. No wonder this special evening is my favorite night of the year. Everyone speaks sweetly, joy surrounds and an extra special feeling of peace is felt on this wonderful night of nights.
Merry Christmas! What a special group of people that I love!

No comments: