Saturday, December 31, 2011

Secret Santa

Two of my favorite Christmas traditions growing up were #1 My mom and dad lined up our presents from under the tree and made us choose one with our name on it to give up and take to someone else. We didn't know what it was, we just gave up a gift that would have been ours. #2 I loved taking presents to a family in need, dropping them on the doorstep, ringing the door bell and then running so we wouldn't get caught.

This was the year and I wanted Hayden to experience both! We found out about a family that would not be having Christmas. They had two boys that were 10 and 12 years old. I lined up all of Hayden's presents that were under the tree and had him choose one to give away. He shook them, felt them and picked a box to give to the boy. Hayden then stood up and walked out of the room. He came back a couple of minutes later with a remote control helicopter in a box that he had just won at the school auction. He had been so excited that he had this new toy and was looking forward to playing with it. As he walked in the room, he walked over, handed me the toy and said, "Mom, didn't you say there were two boys? We can't just give something to one of them, I love this helicopter and I am sure that one of these boys will like it, too. Why don't you give them both of these things?"

I had tears in my eyes. My son has caught the true meaning of Christmas. It is giving of one's self and sacrificing so that others can have. I was so proud of him.

#2 We also accomplished. Hayden was given $20 by a friend for his birthday to either buy something for himself, for someone he loved or for someone in need. Hayden read the card and then sat the $20 bill on the counter and went into his room. He came out a couple of minutes later and told me. Mom, we need to do Christmas for Kimberly and her daughters. The Holy Ghost prompted that was who needed Christmas. I made a couple of calls and sure enough, they could have used the help. I found some items, Hayden went to the store and purchased Barbies and some stocking stuffers, I picked up some Princess pj's, he called Jodi and Suzi and they picked up items, as well.

After the presents were wrapped, we piled in the car, carefully and quietly sat all the presents on the doorstep, rang the doorbell and oh boy howdy did we all run.

I loved the Spirit in the car. I loved that on the way to drop off the gifts that Hayden, Brooklyn and Brigham were talking excitedly about Christmas and Santa coming. However, on the way home, it was about how they felt, the Spirit testifying of their good acts and talking of serving, giving and the Holy Ghost. The kids were bubbled over with excitement of not having been caught and the good feelings they had.

I felt Christmas was a huge success because Hayden was able to understand the true joy that comes from giving service.... For as ye have done it unto the least of these my bretheren, ye have done it unto me.

3 comments:

joseph P joseph said...

Lovely Children

Connie said...

What a great young man you are raising! "Giving" (especially as a family) is such a great part of the season...thanks for sharing!

Pallets and Pearls said...

That's such a great idea. I'm glad you guys had such a great Christmas! I love looking at all the pictures of your cute family and all the fun things you guys do together