Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Christmas Eve Traditions

Christmas Eve is a tradition I love.

We go to Grandpa Simonton's house. We eat yummy food, visit with family, talk, laugh, listen to the eager anticipation in the kids voices, love the family togetherness and have our annual Christmas Eve party. 

After food is my favorite part of the night. We cuddle up on the couches and cousins sit together, I always cuddle the little ones. One by one, family by family, we recount blessings, miracles, favorite moments, secret service preformed, joys and triumphs. Tears are shed as the Spirit is strong and love is shared. Tender moments follow. I feel overwhelming love for each family member; every brother, sister, niece, nephew, in laws, my dad and all. I'm grateful for the moments of the previous year. I feel very loved by my Savior and am overcome by the love in the room. I cherish those precious moments together. 

After that, testimonies are borne. The nativity is discussed. We talk of Christ. We rejoice in Christ. We teach our families of the atonement of the Savior and all the ways he blesses us. 

From there, the mood changes. Games are played. We pass out Grinch gifts. One of the boys read the Grinch. Presents are passed and the exchanging begins. Strategic trading begins and cheers are had when a beloved gift is frozen. 

After gifts, dad and Bonnie take us family by family to the other room and exchange gifts with us and our children. Hayden scored this year with a huge telescope, about the size of him. As a family, we were given a weekend at a cabin. I treasure family moments and memories. What a perfect gift for our family. Bonus, we are going with Jodi's family. 

Santa joins the festivities, bringing each child the first gift of Christmas. The moms say something great about their child before Santa hands out a gift. There are smiles, excitement, cheers and even a few tears shed. The anticipation for Christmas morning becomes evident and there is loud laughter and smiles all over. 

The Bairs come for Santa, and after Santa leaves, so do the Simonton's. we all head home for our own traditions while the Bair's start their traditions. 

I'm grateful to my Dad and Bonnie. They sacrifice very long days so we can all have the Christnas Eve of our childhood and our traditions can live on. They work hard to make it perfectly special for all 11 children, their spouses, 24 grand kids and all others in the group. They stay up for almost 36 ours in a row to pull it all off. We are so grateful for their loving sacrifice for all of us. 

As we pull away from Grandpa's, after hugs are given, greetings extended, presents loaded in the car and feelings of love abound, we head home with full hearts filled with love and gratitude. 

On the drive home, we recall that night oh so long ago that our Savior was born. We sing O Holy Night followed by Silent Night. All is calm. Very few cars are on the road. Peace illuminates the world. My heart is still, calm and full. It is a peaceful night. I count my blessings. They are so plentiful. I am forever blessed. 

No comments: