Sunday, December 15, 2013

Hayden's Answer

Receiving the priesthood was a very serious and sacred event for Hayden.

Thomas, Bishop Smith, Grandpa Simonton, Brother Tayrien, Jordan Weeks and others laid their hands on Hayden's head to confer the holy priesthood of God. Thomas, through authority of the Savior, set Hayden apart to the office of a deacon after conferring the Aaronic Priesthood. 

As the power of the priesthood was given to Hayden, he was able to feel the power of God, and all of the responsibility and service that comes with such a sacred ordination. 

It was a power that Hayden felt, had prepared for, and understood the weight of the responsibility that holding the priesthood of God entails. 

In true Hayden fashion, always wanting to please God and his Savior, he wanted to follow in Joseph Smith's and countless others footsteps, and take the challenge to know for himself of the truthfulness of the gospel. 

After going to bed, about thirty to forty-five minutes later, Hayden walks in my room, almost glowing. As he says, "Mom", walking toward the bed, a smile stretches across his entire face. He looks as happy as I have ever seen him with a glow and a peace about him. I'm trying to assess the situation, when I too, feel the Holy Ghost and the Spirit so strong. Hayden reaches in for a hug as he is explaining what just took place. 

He started the conversation explaining that when he felt the power of the priesthood given to him that he understood that he needed a strong testimony and needed to know for himself the truthfulness of the gospel. He knew what steps he needed to take to receive an answer. 

After we were in bed, he knelt down, poured out his questions, concerns and feelings to his Father in Heaven. Just as countless people before him, Hayden received his own witness that indeed The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints is the true church of God. It is led by our Savior. And Hayden received further confirmation that the Savior knew him personally, was proud of who he is and most importantly loved him. 

Hayden beamed as he relayed the details of his questions and answers. He explained what he needed to do to stay close to his Savior. He testified that he knew these things for himself and that indeed he received an answer. And he felt the weight and responsibility of the priesthood. 

As Hayden hugged me, I felt an overwhelming love for my boy. I am so proud of him and who he is. He is becoming a valiant servant of our Savior. He is a true disciple of our Savior. He understands that the priesthood power is to be utilized to help others and serve his brothers and sisters here on this earth. He knows that his Savior is trusting him to ease the burdens of his other children here. Hayden has an understanding well beyond that of a 12 year old boy. 

I found myself thinking about Joseph Smith. Hayden is only two years younger than when Joseph Smith received his answer that none of the current churches had the fullness of the gospel but that the Savior was ready to restore the fullness of Christ's church back to the earth. 

I thought of Joseph's parents. How must they have felt when Joseph relayed the truths he had learned and experiences he had. I bet that as he walked into his parents room to explain his answer that his parents, too felt the Spirit. I am sure they noticed the change in Joseph's countenance. I am sure they beamed with pride that their son truly walked uprightly before The Lord. 

Hayden being 12. Joseph being 14. So many similarities. My appreciation for the prophet Joseph Smith and his parents grew. 

My sweet son knows who he is and whose he is. Yes, he is temporarily on loan to me and Thomas. But he is truly a son of God. He is a disciple of his Savior. He is a strong witness of being a Christlike example. He loves his Father in Heaven and his Savior. And he knows they love him. 

I'm grateful for the example of my son. 

He makes me want to be a better mom. He makes me want to be a better follower of Christ. He inspires me to be my best. 

No comments: